Christmas Mountains, Terlingua, TX

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
The Christmas Mountains are located north of Big Bend National Park at the end of Terlingua Ranch Road just east of 118. The mountains are owned by the Texas State University System. To gain access to the trail you will need to call Terlingua Ranch Lodge and reserve the the gate key. There is a $75 deposit for the key. No Texas OHV sticker is required but vehicles must be high clearance 4WD/AWD.

Fuel/ Food: Study Butte-Terlingua is the closest place for food or gas.

Facilities: There are restrooms, tent and RV camping as well as lodging at Terlingua Ranch Lodge.

Roads/Trails: The last 3 miles of the road leading to Terlingua Ranch Lodge is a washboard road. Once the pavement stops there is plenty of room to pull over and air down for the rest of the trip. The roads from the Lodge to the gate are not well marked so ask for directions to the gate if you haven't been before. As stated it is suggested to have 4WD and High Clearance, but honestly in good weather you wont need it. This is a unmaintained mountain road so expect a trail just wide enough for a single vehicle. Good thing is this trail is by reservation only so there will be no other people on the trail. There are several sharp turns on the trial but plenty of room to do a multi-point turn if needed. The part of the trail that will most likely interest drivers isn't the trial, its the view. Just keep your eyes on the trail and have fun.

Reactions: tex

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I really wanted to get over to check this out when I was out there last December. How big of a group will they let up there at once?

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
I'm not too sure what the limit is. The website for the ranch says one but I have seen a group of 5 go up there at once.

Oswego

n00b
Pretty cool shots you got.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Awesome! Didn't know this existed. Thanks for the writeup!