Cutting the cord

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Anyone on here have experience with cutting the cord? I am looking for specific info as for what device you are using and if you are happy with it. I am looking at different options right now but am not sure yet. So far the Roku box seems to be a solid option.

So who has done this and what other add-ons did you have to add afterwards? Does it really save any money?

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I will be watching this thread. I hate paying for TV when I usually watch Netflix or a show that can be watched online. My dishwasher is the one dependent on TV and DVR every retarted "reality" show there is.

taco4x4rar

In my case no wasn't worth it, in my area the only reliable internet provider was the cable company, suddenlink, who at least in this area doesn't sell just internet it's always packaged with cable. My only other semi reliable internet option was Verizon through a home cell based router and by the time you upped the data enough it cost substantially more than just paying for cable

tx_shooter

Staff member
That is part of what I am dealing with. I would have to up my Internet plan to almost $80/ month to support full streaming. That will remove the $150 for DirectTV so that is a pretty easy trade off. I am just concerned about what other streaming services I would end up subscribing to so as to watch the shows I; or my sammich maker, want to watch. I am still trying to figure out how to stream baseball games but it looks like the easiest way would be a VPN service to cheat the zipcode rule.

Plex is the most recommended software from a few of my friends that have cut the cord successfully.

Plex

Last edited:

balakay

BabyMax
I don't have cable. I pay $50 for internet (20mb with AT&T). I have Netflix and Hulu on top of that which are both $8 a month I think. Though I'm considering dropping Netflix. And I have another app on my Firestick which may or may not be legal enough to post here. :shifty:

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
I don't have cable. I pay $50 for internet (20mb with AT&T). I have Netflix and Hulu on top of that which are both $8 a month I think. Though I'm considering dropping Netflix. And I have another app on my Firestick which may or may not be legal enough to post here. :shifty:
I think I have the same thing...as long as you have a good internet package, you can watch ANYTHING you want. I also have Netflix, Amazon, and have used Sling TV before. In total I think we spend maybe $80/mo on "cable" including our high speed internet.

-Maybe we should move this to the backroom?-

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
Plex is the most recommended software from a few of my friends that have cut the cord successfully.

Plex
More info? the service I use only works on android and I've been looking to move to an aggregator that will work with ios so I can stop using the firestick and use Apple tv

tx_shooter

Staff member
More info? the service I use only works on android and I've been looking to move to an aggregator that will work with ios so I can stop using the firestick and use Apple tv

Guy at my office who has been doing this stuff for years now says Plex is the best thing for streaming. I will get more info and try to post an outline idea later.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
We cut years ago. We have a digital ant. We also use Plex and Chromecast.

tx_shooter

Staff member

So to take advantage of Plex you need a home PC that runs the server software. It can be a pretty standard PC; just needs lots of hard drive space. You download and install the server software, login with your Plex account, and it then connects your library (downloaded to your server) to your Plex account that you can access from any device with a Plex app.

There are a few drawbacks in that you need a home server setup and a good enough Internet access to to download and upload video so that may be an issue. The guy at work that uses it swears it is the greatest thing ever for streaming. He bought a lifetime membership to the Plex software. He said there are add-ons that set it to download your preferred shows so you can watch them as soon as they are ready.

balakay

BabyMax
So to take advantage of Plex you need a home PC that runs the server software. It can be a pretty standard PC; just needs lots of hard drive space. You download and install the server software, login with your Plex account, and it then connects your library (downloaded to your server) to your Plex account that you can access from any device with a Plex app.

There are a few drawbacks in that you need a home server setup and a good enough Internet access to to download and upload video so that may be an issue. The guy at work that uses it swears it is the greatest thing ever for streaming. He bought a lifetime membership to the Plex software. He said there are add-ons that set it to download your preferred shows so you can watch them as soon as they are ready.

So Plex is just the server software and doesn't actually include any media?

tx_shooter

Staff member
It includes access to their servers too. You can also connect your online account to different cloud storage servers (Google, Dropbox, OneDrive) instead of using a local server.

Last edited:

tx_shooter

Staff member
I am currently looking at using Plex connected to 100 Gb Google Drive. This way I have no local server/ Internet issues and can access it from anywhere with great reliability. The yearly costs will be $60 for Plex Premium and Google Drive storage costs. Then I can cloud store music, TV shows, movies, or whatever through Flex. The next step would be using Netflix or Hulu to stream a wide variety of channels to download to the Flex (as I understand it) or just watch it and forget it.

tx_shooter

Staff member
And Kodi is no longer an underground secret. I am also looking at Sling TV as an option. The Sling hook is that you pay for the channels you want and do not pay for the channels you do not want. So it is like the way we all wish cable would be.

Special offer to get a Roku+ device for $50 if you pay for 3 months of Sling. There are discounted Roku devices at all levels of the Sling packages too.

Last edited:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
If you should decide to start streaming some illegal content, do yourself a favor and get a VPN. Like the one they advertise on Pirate Bay or something. MANY moons ago I got dinged for a download.. some shitty movie.. so shitty the film studio decided to fine the folks who downloaded it to get their money since it wasn't happening at the box offfice. Man I wish I could recall what it was. I paid $300 and don't do that no more. :)

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

We have a portable hard drive we use for content.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
If you should decide to start streaming some illegal content, do yourself a favor and get a VPN. Like the one they advertise on Pirate Bay or something. MANY moons ago I got dinged for a download.. some shitty movie.. so shitty the film studio decided to fine the folks who downloaded it to get their money since it wasn't happening at the box offfice. Man I wish I could recall what it was. I paid $300 and don't do that no more. :)
:shifty: That would suck! I had a deal where Getty Images wanted me to buy some postage stamp image on a website. They kept sending me demands to pay for years at an ever increasing costs. Finally, after the statue of limitations, they went away.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
They had contacted my ISP and I was blocked until I paid.