Fuel Additive Effectiveness

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
you have the 4.0l motor?

Oh, and speaking of oil, the screenshot you posted said that it is specifically recommended for people who use 5w-20 oil....guess what I use!

These are screen shots from an online 2011 Tacoma owners manual pdf version.

2.7l recommended use 0w-20 or 5w-20

4.0l recommended use 5w-30

You currently have a high mileage motor with 150k + miles, use much thinner motor oil than the manufactured recommend oil.

F405C38C-40C5-4154-8874-04D7D0D5CD14.jpeg
0D8AF3FC-CFCD-4FC6-917F-7831A7FFCF06.jpeg
C8A56076-5EFD-4349-B9B9-2951A92B0002.jpeg

Last edited:

AlienXtx

Nignog
These are screen shots from an online 2011 Tacoma owners manual pdf version.

2.7l recommended use 0w-20 or 5w-20

4.0l recommended use 5w-30 or 10w-30

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You currently have a high mileage motor with 150k + miles, use much thinner motor oil than the manufactured recommend oil and you want to throw some random fuel treatment in the truck and buy Allpoo skids? o_O

View attachment 20643 View attachment 20644 View attachment 20645
:flaming:
lol

CowboyTaco

You currently have a high mileage motor with 150k + miles, use much thinner motor oil than the manufactured recommend oil and you want to throw some random fuel treatment in the truck and buy Allpoo skids? o_O

Pretty much sums it up.

youre-not-wrong-73pilv.jpg

I remember seeing that 5w-20 was an acceptable weight and viscosity a while back. This isn't the chart that I saw, but I can't find the one. I thought it was in the owners manual, but I can't find it there.

toyotaoilchart-capture-jpg.145799

This chart basically says that the 2011 4.0L can use 0w-20, 5w-20, or 5w-30. So saying "a much thinner oil than what toyota recommends" might be a bit of a stretch. You are correct though, 5w-30 is what is recommended in the manual. I have 5w-20 and 5w-30 on hand and try to keep it consistent per oil change.

Per this article, "The main difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 motor oil is that the latter is less viscous (or thick). When used in a vehicle's engine, 5W-20 oil creates less friction due to its thinner viscosity, meaning it causes less drag across engine parts like the crankshaft, valvetrain, and pistons. This can provide a slight bump in fuel efficiency." So I don't see using 5w-20 as being detrimental or even hurting fuel economy.

CowboyTaco

Sorry for an asshole comment, but I felt kinda dumb looking up the correct manufacturer oil recommendations for Tacoma 4.0l motor.

99% would all agree... the best bet is to stick with what the owner’s manual recommends or a TSB issued by Toyota for longevity of Toyo motors.

Don't get all mushy on me just because it's Valentine's day.

I do appreciate it. I could have sworn that I saw a chart showing 5w-20 and 5w-30 overlapping quite a bit on a chart provided in the owner's manual as to which one to use, but it isn't there. I don't have enough of the 5w-20 remaining to do a full oil change anyway, so I'll go with 5w-30 on the next purchase.

As for keeping this thread on topic. I'll let y'all know thoughts on the Liqui Moly once I do put it in the tank. If anyone else has experience....by all means....let's hear it.

FWIW, I see the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube with injector cleaner and fuel conditioners come up as a top recommended choice. I've used that stuff in the past with no noticeable change in anything. However, that was back when it was Exxon gas or bust since my wife worked for them and we got a discount. Maybe I should give it another try now that I'm using whatever gas is cheap and convenient.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Don't get all mushy on me just because it's Valentine's day.

I do appreciate it. I could have sworn that I saw a chart showing 5w-20 and 5w-30 overlapping quite a bit on a chart provided in the owner's manual as to which one to use, but it isn't there. I don't have enough of the 5w-20 remaining to do a full oil change anyway, so I'll go with 5w-30 on the next purchase.

As for keeping this thread on topic. I'll let y'all know thoughts on the Liqui Moly once I do put it in the tank. If anyone else has experience....by all means....let's hear it.

FWIW, I see the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube with injector cleaner and fuel conditioners come up as a top recommended choice. I've used that stuff in the past with no noticeable change in anything. However, that was back when it was Exxon gas or bust since my wife worked for them and we got a discount. Maybe I should give it another try now that I'm using whatever gas is cheap and convenient.
If you do regular oil changes (Start using 5W-30), you'll be fine. These engines are under-powered and over built so they'll last a long time. My flooring salesman's Tacoma was up to ~600k miles on his 4.0 engine when he finally sold it. He did have it all dealer maintained though and did whatever they recommended.

I got my head gasket seals re-done around ~190k miles by the mechanic and he said my engines sludge build up was normal if not a little better than what he'd seen on other Tacoma's.

I run Mobile One 5W-30 synthetic oil with a Mobile One M1-209 oil filter (it's double the capacity of the OEM one). Every 5k miles, I change the oil filter and every 10k miles, I change the filter and oil. If I change the synthetic oil every 5k, it would be a waste IMO because it drains out looking brand new. At 10k miles, the synthetic oil is finally a nice dark color and actually looks used lol

CowboyTaco

If you do regular oil changes (Start using 5W-30), you'll be fine. These engines are under-powered and over built so they'll last a long time. My flooring salesman's Tacoma was up to ~600k miles on his 4.0 engine when he finally sold it. He did have it all dealer maintained though and did whatever they recommended.

I got my head gasket seals re-done around ~190k miles by the mechanic and he said my engines sludge build up was normal if not a little better than what he'd seen on other Tacoma's.

I run Mobile One 5W-30 synthetic oil with a Mobile One M1-209 oil filter (it's double the capacity of the OEM one). Every 5k miles, I change the oil filter and every 10k miles, I change the filter and oil. If I change the synthetic oil every 5k, it would be a waste IMO because it drains out looking brand new. At 10k miles, the synthetic oil is finally a nice dark color and actually looks used lol

Oil and filter every 5k here.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
For what it's worth, regardless of what everyone says about leaks from seals etc. I used to be a VP of a company that some say invented the trans cooler - we made viscous liquid coolers for all truck mfg, the big three, compressor/generator mfgs, damn near every construction equipment manufactures and a number of company that use large jet engines for land based applications, etc and have seem way more than my share of oil coolers from 30,000 miles to 1,000,000 miles. The ones that used synthetic oil (regardless of brand) look like they were BRAND NEW. For anyone that says that synth oil causes engines to leak - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but just because your oil has extra burnt carbon floating around in your oil keeping you seals from weeping - your seals need changing!!! lol

Oswego

n00b
Coming from the only guy known to blow one of these dependable engines up - Ill defer to the pro's lol

But I did run Mobil 1 5w-30 in it from after break in until after implosion of cylinder #6's bearing and while I did not look for wear on other items the engine looked pretty good. Not as good as the new donor - that thing looked brand new. I was amazed that the engine would run for that long with that many metal shavings in it. I'd bet if I did not have synthetic in it and the Toyota engineers did not have a screen on the pick up from the pan - she would of given out much sooner than she did.

I do currently have dino oil + some Marvels Mystery in the engine, but thats just for a few hundred miles to rebreak it in. Then she's going full Synthetic again.

CowboyTaco

I've added the Liqui Moly Jectron and am currently running through that tank. I have probably only gone through 2 gallons so far, so too early to say anything.

CowboyTaco

The Liqui Moly Jectron says that it can be added to a tank with a minimum 7 gallons up to a maximum 20 gallons. The directions did not specify that it needed to be added at fill up for proper mixing, and I read online somewhere that mixing happened while you drive. So I added it to about 10 gallons thinking that it being used in a slightly higher concentration might yield better results.

-- I should probably mention that my mindset is hopeful, but not expectant at this point --

My empty light came on yesterday afternoon and I filled up. Took 18.5 gallons to get to full, so I feel like I sufficiently used the fuel containing the Jectron (unless, of course, it didn't mix and just sat in the unused portion of the tank).

Traffic was a little heavier than usual this morning, but I didn't witness any magic in my fuel mileage on the drive to work. I'll wait to report back when I've gone through this tank, but right now I'm not overly impressed.

CowboyTaco

So I'm going to say that I got back about .5 mpg with the Liqui Moly Jectron. That's better than what I expected, but not as good as what I had hoped.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Not overly surprising. It is tough to improve mpg in city driving. Hwy speeds are great because small improvements in aerodynamics or speed can have noticeable improvements. City driving is tough because has a hard mix of stop/go and most "cruising" is below 45 miles per hour so the torque convertor is still not locked up so there is a hard loss.

CowboyTaco

I had hoped for some improvement and thought it was possible since I mostly use value gas now. I even tried going a few tanks with either Exxon, BP or Chevron from the pump while running the cleaner. Again, no change.