Little Red 85 Build

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
That is how it happens. Peer pressure is a biotch

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Soooo.... I need to do some repairs after Moab.. Alternator is fried, Steering pump is probably burnt up, brakes need addressing, diffs need to be resealed. I found a big ammo can to mount for storage in the bed. also going to figure out a way to carry spare Driveshafts when necessary and potentially additional fuel.. Also on the search for a new drivetrain(more than likely a 3rz, 2rz or 3.4 in that order) and potentially inboarding the front 3 link lower mounts/links to gain some more steering as my current setup sucks.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Well for your alternator go with the GM one-wire if you haven't already. Did you upgrade the master cylinder when you put tons on it? Get a big ass cooler for your power steering. I had one of those Deraile cylindrical ones, it worked but it got stupid hot. Made the mistake of touching it while spooling in some winch rope once. I would go with a standard style with a fan. I also noticed you skipped LS for your drivetrain. :D How about a 4.7 Yota V8?

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
I have a 100 amp plug and play Alternator sitting on the shelf. I'll be upgrading the cooler, swapping in a new TC pump from PSC and relocating the cooler it from its current position. The 5.3 is for sale currently. No intentions of a Yota v8 . The support isn't there and I got rid of the last one I had due to this. A buddy that went to Moab with me had a 3RZ in his 84 4runner and it worked great. He found a guy that built his stand alone harness for a reasonable price up in Oregon. That being said, I will be going with a 3RZ since it will work with my current Transmission and TC with a few parts changes. Probably add some Boost while I'm at it. I found a nice rebuilt one here local that I am working a deal on.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Few pics from Moab. Such a cool place to wheel.

chewy hill.jpg
coyote 1.jpg
coyote 2.jpg
coyote 3.jpg
hells gate 2.jpg
hells gate.jpg
HG3.jpg
hot tub.jpg
mickeys 2.jpg
Mickeys.jpg

Attachments

• coyote 4 - Copy.jpg
    coyote 4 - Copy.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 9
  • coyote 4.jpg
    coyote 4.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 10

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Well it looks like the new engine will be a 2RZ (no balance shafts and shorter stroke) since I got a pretty good deal on it. It will like the boost better than a 3RZ anyways lol.

Last edited:

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Just been busy cleaning up this 2rz and replacing a bunch of parts. New ignition coils, plugs, rz motor mounts, turbo manifold, plumbing, paint, adj fuel pressure regulator, rear sump oil pan conversion, water pump, scraping and scrubbing, etc.. still need an RZ bell and possibly a TC, wastegate and some more expensive shit.... I'll spend some more after Christmas is over..

2rz.jpg
detail.jpg
front.jpg
GLF turbo manifold.jpg
intake plenum.jpg
side.jpg
turbo oil feed.jpg

Silverback

Your tig welds are getting good. ;) Looks awesome man. :headbang:

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
ha ha yep. my tig welds are only as good as the $$ i spend on them lol

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
I got a matching Derale cooler to mount remotely and free up some space for an intercooler for the turbo. Everything is plumbed and wired. After overlooking a loose fitting and cleaning up the mess, it should be good to go. I also mounted my large ammo can and CO2 setup and have just enough room to keep the beer cooler in its original location.

D33CA129-D1BE-4642-B97F-EAC109CC27C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
I also ordered some of the last few parts need for the swap: a new set of 330cc pink top injectors, new OEM MAF sensor, fire sheathing for the turbo feed and drain lines, new studs for the Turbo inlet/Outlet, an RZ bellhousing for the A340, new motor mounts, Upper and lower radiator hoses and a 2RZ ECM. I need to finish installing the rear sump oil pan and find something to plug the original dipstick port . 2wd dip sticks are on the front of the pan and 4wd dipsticks are on the side by the intake plenum. I just need to find a starter and that should be about it on engine related parts....

Not quite sure when I'm going to pull the engine as I want to wheel it a bit more and Home Improvements are taking up a lot of time/money. I need to go through the engine and check every nut and bolt, situate the truck in the garage for access, pull the harness and send it off to be wired, install the new engine/bell housing assembly and hopefully plug everything back in. Sounds easy. Sure....

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Its not... lol

Silverback

Rear steer axle would be PIMP! You know you want one. I want you to want one. :)

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
It would be a big investment. 6-8K easy... I can barely steer the front one properly...

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Just weld some steering knuckles to the rear axle, 2nd steering wheel and call it good. I'm an engineer so trust me

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member