Setting up Gears by ZUK

SamSter0077

Frack me..
I have been visited by the Differential Tooth Fairy several times now. I ran across a great link today while search for a deal. I have heard the name ZUK a few times, he is known for doing great work on differentials. Apparently, he keeps copious notes and doesn't mind sharing.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Yeah, I've seen that site before. Excellent information. Are you planning to have him setup your next set?

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Interesting what he had to say about the 5.71s....

SamSter0077

Frack me..
Yeah, I've seen that site before. Excellent information. Are you planning to have him setup your next set?

Well, according to the site.. he is not doing it anymore sadly. But with the information gather from his installs.. I think I know what I did wrong.

When I put my Lockright in, I marked the adjuster rings and returned them to their original position. I had to use a hammer and a punch, but there wasn't much precision about it.. ZUK puts the Anti seize on the threads, and then torques both sides to 150 ft lbs and measures the rolling resistance in inch pounds. His post below talks about the adjustment on Pirate..

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5844489&postcount=7

I always thought it was a little loose but didn't really have any practical experience to go on. I have read about 6 or so build ups of various locker types/diffs and such. Wish ECGS posted this much information. One of our gang needs to start doing this on the side for some cash.. :D

Silverback

I have a buddy who can do it.. he's in Round Rock though.

Silverback

I'd have ECGS do it just for the warranty. If it was just a trail rig them I'd have my buddy, he's good.. don't know how he compares to Zuk. But since Zuk isn't doing it that doesn't really matter right?

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Nice pinion on that puppy!

How 'bout this setup:?

coil1.jpg

Silverback

Nice pinion on that puppy!

How 'bout this setup:?

coil1.jpg

Look at the shackles as well. Not sure what that thing attached to the right one is.

AlienXtx

Nignog
thats who set up Robs new gears right?

taco4x4rar

ZUK does awesome work and keeps it well documented. I read his stuff numerous times before I did the gear setup in my third.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Silverback

he said he would do mine... $250 for those curious. Looks like I won't be wheeling with a locker for a while.

Well that sucks Sam... but its a helluva lot cheaper than your other alternatives.

Texoma

IG: triplecchopshop
Reviving this old thread because it looks to have some excellent information. I just bought 4.56 nitro gears front n rear for my 2010 Taco along with the tools to do the job myself. I have an 8.4" third, 8" elocker third, and an 8" front clamshell to play with as well. Once I get proficient at setting up gears and do my own with great success, I will offer my services to others. Oh and pics, cuz who doesn't like evidence.

WP_20171130_19_00_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20171127_20_07_24_Pro.jpg