Summer wheeling ideas

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
So with Covid its looking like the July 2 week family vacation to Alaska and ending in Canada is not going to happen. Yesterday's news of Canada not allowing any cruise ships to dock is a very clear message I need to start looking at other plans.

Talking with my brother in Colorado and it would be nice to hit some trails and see some new things. His build has taken a fast track to bad ass and wants to get it dirty.

Moab is a little over 4 hours from his place but July in the 100+ heat would be tiresome. Might consider doing a day or 2 here.

Some ideas we have thrown around are the Pony Express trail from Salt Lake to Lake Tahoe, but again the heat would be extremely taxing.

Mountains and cooler weather is what I am thinking we need to focus on. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho could be fun to explore but I know nothing about those states and seems Colorado and Utah are the ones you hear about the most for off roading.

Any of yall have some suggestions on some routes, trails, or things to see?

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming. Do a dirt road trip up, around, and back. Stay in the mid to upper elevations and stay cool.

Oswego

n00b
So with Covid its looking like the July 2 week family vacation to Alaska and ending in Canada is not going to happen. Yesterday's news of Canada not allowing any cruise ships to dock is a very clear message I need to start looking at other plans.

Talking with my brother in Colorado and it would be nice to hit some trails and see some new things. His build has taken a fast track to bad ass and wants to get it dirty.

Moab is a little over 4 hours from his place but July in the 100+ heat would be tiresome. Might consider doing a day or 2 here.

Some ideas we have thrown around are the Pony Express trail from Salt Lake to Lake Tahoe, but again the heat would be extremely taxing.

Mountains and cooler weather is what I am thinking we need to focus on. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho could be fun to explore but I know nothing about those states and seems Colorado and Utah are the ones you hear about the most for off roading.

Any of yall have some suggestions on some routes, trails, or things to see?

Because CO and UT are what you always hear about for wheeling - I'd focus on MT, ID, WY. I'd expect this summer to be crazy busy outdoors due to everyone being pent up so much and I'm anti social so...

Sucks about Canada, I watched a video of a US town last night that was getting devastated by the closure because they are on a peninsula regarding the border so the only way in/out is by road through Canada. They ended up making a 20 mile ice road on a lake to get in/out.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Thinking Idaho and Oregon are going to be the main focus, but still lots of moving parts to figure out like Alaska trip being canceled.
Dont really need anything for the truck except a new fridge before a long trip like this. Gear focus will be some new hiking shoes and a few travel fishing rods that break down.

CowboyTaco

I remember seeing pictures from Fairy Lake in Montana and wanting to check it out.

Fairy_Lake.jpg

CowboyTaco

The Expedition Overland guys did a cool trail in Idaho in their first season. I kind of lost interest in them after season 2.

I think it was something like "Craters of the Moon" state park. <-- That might not have been the name, but if you find a park in Idaho that has something to do with craters....that's the one.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
The Expedition Overland guys did a cool trail in Idaho in their first season. I kind of lost interest in them after season 2.

I think it was something like "Craters of the Moon" state park. <-- That might not have been the name, but if you find a park in Idaho that has something to do with craters....that's the one.
I think it is craters of the moon. Trying not to go down a research rabbit hole just yet.

Oswego

n00b
I really enjoyed OR last time I was out there, but it was over a decade ago. We spent 4 days in the Mt Hood area and then drove to the Mt Bachelor area for another 3 nights because Hood was getting real nasty weather. 3 guys died on Hood while we were on it so it was an easy call to relocate.

Not so sure I'd go there now though. Between "all the drugs" being legal now + their never ending antifa uprisings Ive pretty much written it off as a state I'd go back to. That said I live in a state no one wants to go to so who I am I talk trash lol

Their forests are awesome compared to the NE. Someday I hope top see the CA redwoods before CA falls off the coast.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I lived in Idaho for a few years back in 93-95. It was so beautiful north of Boise. I lived in Mountain Home.... sounds pretty right? Its not.. fucking flat as shit.. scrub trees... tumbleweeds blowing across so bad. I remember when we first got there and driving from the town of Mnt Home to the base, it was about a 10 mile drive... tumbleweeds blowing like crazy... the ex-wife actually started to cry. lmao... what a shithole that place was!!

CowboyTaco

oh, yeah.

I have a friend who moved to Oregon within the last 2 years and he was posting daily videos of the wild fires last summer. The street would be the divider...one side scorched to the ground and the other side like nothing happened.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Forgot about the wild fires Oregon had. Will have to make sure I am not visiting areas that have not recovered from that.

balakay

BabyMax
Keeping my eye on this thread. Going to have a bunch of vacation to take this year.