The Repair/Mechanic tidbits and tricks of the trade

PSU Taco85

Use an UV/black light, it helps locate freon leaks, this crimp on this discharge hose failed, pretty common on Toyotas with the 4.0l motors, never use any of that stop leak freon, it does more harm to the entire system and gums it up.

View attachment 35234

View attachment 35235

View attachment 35236

do LED black light work for this too I’ve seen them available and wanted to try this but wasn’t sure. My 4.0 has a leak somewhere and I haven’t troubleshot it yet.

CowboyTaco

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
do LED black light work for this too I’ve seen them available and wanted to try this but wasn’t sure. My 4.0 has a leak somewhere and I haven’t troubleshot it yet.

This what I have, use it most of the time to find scorpions at night, but it's good to find different minerals/rocks too if you travel.

Taco Loco

Is there a preventative measure that can be taken? Some kind of sealant that could be added to the outside of that connection?

Probably not, Toyota OEM hose was made in Mexico, if I known that I would have just bought one from AutoZone/O'Reilly for $45 cheaper.

PSU Taco85

This what I have, use it most of the time to find scorpions at night, but it's good to find different minerals/rocks too if you travel.

thanks, ordered it this morning. Hopefully my leak is something simple like the hose or an o-ring and not have to replace the condenser or evaporator.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Hmm.. that UV flashlight you ordered says it can be used for "body art"... I can see that!

UV.JPG

PSU Taco85

Thanks for the link, the Zon delivered today and I went out to take a look. Seems to me it's the condenser, would you agree? Hard to get a camera in there with the bumper, winch, skid, and grill on. I didn't find any other leaks in the engine bay (and I'm going to make the assumption that I only have one leak and that my evaporator isn't leaking too)

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Thanks for sharing, I just bought some more 4" cut off blades, and I'm cheap, so for most of my cuts for now on will be a gouge cut.
And if you do plunge cut, only go as deep as you need. I know this sounds geeky but there will be less leverage on the disc. :)

PSU Taco85

And if you do plunge cut, only go as deep as you need. I know this sounds geeky but there will be less leverage on the disc. :)

ive always noticed that doing the plunge cut, I had to hold onto the grinder like a bucking bronco and it was a little sketchy especially with thicker material. So this makes sense, the gouge cut is the way to go, but the real answer is a plasma, you can cut it in less than 5 seconds and no dust. You’d have to factor out the cost of what a plasma costs vs how many cuts you’ll be expecting to do in your lifetime though lol

AlienXtx

Nignog

Taco Loco

Taco Loco

I store used spray paint tips/nozzle in cleaner, so they will work next time you need spray paint.

View attachment 10103

I have found that the spray tops off Blaster cans are very useful. I upcycle the ones from empty used Blaster cans and use them on a variety of other spray aerosols cans. The red tip off the brake cleaner gets thrown into the bottle(pic in quoted thread).

20230816_110637.jpg

Works great! And I like the on / off function of the Blaster tops, if I need to throw a can into a tool bag for transport Etc.
20230816_110729.jpg

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Don't use Toyota OEM oil filters

AlienXtx

Nignog
I use K&N or Royal Purple