The Repair/Mechanic tidbits and tricks of the trade

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Splinter or metal shaving into finger or skin??

A couple drops of Elmers glue and 15min later peel glue off and out comes the splinter.

I tried this a few weeks ago at work... could not get it to work. :( It was a metal splinter though.

Oswego

n00b
I tried this a few weeks ago at work... could not get it to work. :( It was a metal splinter though.

try some of this next time *snicker*

tweezers I got are replacing crappy plastic ones. One tweezer is a standard and the other is needle point for when you really need to dig deep.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Today I had a 3 1/2 hour lunch in my friends shop. He builds vehicles. I brought with me my front pulley/harmonic balancer for my Taco. I'm replacing my front main seal and the last front seal, combined with the desert dust, ground a noticeable groove in the machined mating surface. He said he hated oil leaks and would remove the spring of the seal:
  1. Unwind it about 4 turns so that it comes apart.
  2. Cut a few twists on male side of the laid out spring.
  3. 'Unwind' the spring so that is will twist in and lock when you put the spring back in a circle.
  4. Put the spring back on the seal.
  5. Coat the inside of the mating surface of the pulley with RTV
  6. Coat the large flat washer for the crank bolt
  7. Torque the bolt and enjoy a 'weep-free' motor.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Screenshot_20180621-194229.png
Screenshot_20180621-194158.png
Screenshot_20180621-193100.png

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
He also recommended a thin coat on the outside diameter of the seal too.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Got insects stuck on the front of your truck?

Take used dryer sheets, wet them and scrub, no chemicals used and doesn’t harm finish/chrome/paint.

1882AE07-44C3-4D4F-B125-C207307C95B1.jpeg

Taco Loco

I worked for Landsdowne-Moody Ford & Kubota tractor back in HS and 6 months after graduation that year, until I was shipped off to the boot camp, 2 days after Christmas.

At Landsdowne-Moody I worked mainly parts, but I also assembled new farm implements, uncrate Kubota's & assembly and I also preformed light maintenance on customers tractors.

Yesterday when I was doing the 8hr service on the Kubota, I remember what one of the old guys showed me to do when messing with those dust shields. As the tractor gets used the dust shields gets knicks and burrs on them from use.
I lot of users eventually tear those shields off because they get stuck or damage from heavy use. Those dust shields help prevent plant material building up around the U-joints.

3-5min task at most...
Wipe down and clean the tubes, sand off any large chunks/pieces and then add baby powder to the tube before collapsing into the other tube, this acts as form of lubricant. This shredder only has about 170hrs on it, so it’s basically still new.

On older implements collapsing the dust shields without doing this, you will fight like hell trying to separate them again.

FABCFCE3-B0ED-4B0C-9DE1-DC9BFF75247D.jpeg
F6B97D4C-CC1E-4266-B8BE-472DA9BFD5E6.jpeg

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I worked for Landsdowne-Moody Ford & Kubota tractor back in HS and 6 months after graduation that year, until I was shipped off to the boot camp, 2 days after Christmas.

At Landsdowne-Moody I worked mainly parts, but I also assembled new farm implements, uncrate Kubota's & assembly and I also preformed light maintenance on customers tractors.

Yesterday when I was doing the 8hr service on the Kubota, I remember what one of the old guys showed me to do when messing with those dust shields. As the tractor gets used the dust shields gets knicks and burrs on them from use.
I lot of users eventually tear those shields off because they get stuck or damage from heavy use. Those dust shields help prevent plant material building up around the U-joints.

3-5min task at most...
Wipe down and clean the tubes, sand off any large chunks/pieces and then add baby powder to the tube before collapsing into the other tube, this acts as form of lubricant. This shredder only has about 170hrs on it, so it’s basically still new.

On older implements collapsing the dust shields without doing this, you will fight like hell trying to separate them again.

View attachment 21947 View attachment 21948
Maybe your tractor can file... Talcum Powder Lawsuit Settlement Amounts | Class Action

Oswego

n00b
That's what we did with my flywheel bolts during the engine swap lol

Taco Loco

Have problems starting 2 Stroke Motors?
The ethanol gas is hard on these engines, It may not be a carb issue or old fuel issue.

Unscrew the spark arrestor from the exhaust and burn off the carbon build up with a torch and then replace it. Most of the time it's a 15mm socket to remove.

Before Pic.
IMG_7839..jpg

After burn off pic, runs like new again.
IMG_7840..jpg

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Taco Loco

Use an UV/black light, it helps locate freon leaks, this crimp on this discharge hose failed, pretty common on Toyotas with the 4.0l motors, never use any of that stop leak freon, it does more harm to the entire system and gums it up.

20210601_125542.jpg

20210601_125524.jpg

20210601_130441.jpg

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Never use any of that stop leak freon, it does more harm to the entire system and gums it up. Unless you are selling the car. ;)

ftfy