Trailers, EXPO, RV, POP-UP, ETC....

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I used the same one.. until I lost the key and my Milwaukee cordless grinder removed it in about 30 seconds.
Pretty much all of them can be removed that quick with a cordless grinder and drill. It's more about making it inconvenient for someone at this point.

A good GPS tracker will probably be a better option than a lock at this point lol

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Or get a odd coupler... I have that Max-Coupler, I can remove the trailer side of it and make it a bitch for someone to tow.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Everything I am finding is saying to make it as inconvenient as possible. So looks like I will go with a good hitch lock and two bike locks. One for the spare and one for a tire on the axle.

Now on to a tool box.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Everything I am finding is saying to make it as inconvenient as possible. So looks like I will go with a good hitch lock and two bike locks. One for the spare and one for a tire on the axle.

Now on to a tool box.

Trailer pic?

tx_shooter

Staff member
Picking it up on Saturday; but currently it is a basic 6' x 12' utility single axle with square tubing top rail. I am getting it with no rear wind catcher / expanded metal ramp.

Plan is a camping utility / bike hauler. The RTT will go on top, tool box with secure storage towards the front, and bikes in the cargo area when needed. Otherwise it is a utility trailer the few times a year I need one.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Trailer pic?

Stock photo with specs; the model I am getting is with the square tubing instead of angle iron. I explained to the sales lady what I was doing and she said they still had two on the lot but not listed on their website with the tube top. I will need to pick up a spare tire and mount for it, most likely will flip the axle under the leaf springs, and add shocks to help dampen the ride when off pavement.

1641905889845.png

End goal without the huge wind catch/ rock shield in the front. I really do not see the benefit of the adjustable RTT rack. I will most likely make the rack fixed height and and have the center rails moveable/ removable if needed. I also plan to put a tool box/ storage towards the front. Eventually probably an awning off one side with canvas cover over the trailer as needed for bad weather.
IMG_20200925_150854493.jpg

Oswego

n00b
I'd lock up boats and trailers after they became delinquent in storage payment. After years of owners getting around locks and me taking tires off I started just pulling the tongues off.

They would either cut the lock or fuck the gate up to get in. Then cut the tongue lock off and bring a spare tire.

Never lost one after I started yanking tongues lol

In the end if they want it they will get it if they are willing to work harder than you

Oswego

n00b
Let's also speculate that if the thief really wants a trailer or what's in it locking the tongue is only half the battle.

No one ever locks the chains up. Sure it's not safe and will fuck your bumper up but who cares when you need that last fix

I've dragged a few myself and while not optimal it's easily done

Someone around heres been stealing bbq pit trailers. Multiple restaurants keep getting hit. One moron lost two. I just shake my head

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Most of the time you just need to harden the target, forcing the suspect to move somewhere else. But yeah, if they really want it they will get the trailer.

I use a cable strung thru the wheel and axle. I also have a Lock N Roll hitch and receiver. Also helps that the storage lot I use has a patrol car parked in it since the lot is owned by a coworker.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I know the trailer will not be 100% secure. I can think of a few ways to steal it but I am just trying to make it difficult enough they choose not to.

Oswego

n00b
Not in the US yet but pretty cool idea. 100 amp hr lithium removable power station. As usual its redarc so $$$

tx_shooter

Staff member
Still debating just how much power I want/need on a trailer. It is not going to be a 24/7 power hub at the moment. Long term I may setup a portable GMRS repeater on it so solar power would be nice. Right now it will probably just get some LED lights that can be pushed from a large USB charger battery.

Short term goals are a strong box of some sort to securely store fuel/expensive stuff in, basic rack odd size stuff, RTT rack, and stabilizing jacks to make the trailer easier to sleep on without a lot of movement. In my teens I had a summer job where I slept on a utility trailer for a few nights as a time. It does not take a lot of wind movement to get seasick on a single axle trailer.

Last edited:

CowboyTaco

I saw a post on Instagram where someone took a 12v plug and cut the wire to hook it up to a fuse block. Plugged the other end into a Jackery. I thought that was a pretty clever way to power all of their 12v needs without plugging everything directly into the Jackery. I think it was one of those vanlife people.

Oswego

n00b
I saw a post on Instagram where someone took a 12v plug and cut the wire to hook it up to a fuse block. Plugged the other end into a Jackery. I thought that was a pretty clever way to power all of their 12v needs without plugging everything directly into the Jackery. I think it was one of those vanlife people.
First thing the aussies do is cut off the cig fitting and install an anderson plug end for similar uses. Never seen anyone overcthere use the stock cig outlets. Lord knows I need to adj my garmin gps plug almost daily cause it loses contact w the cig outlet.

I see the same in the rc hobby. Guy buys a part and first thing they do voids the warranty by putting on a superior plug end.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Couple pics of the utility trailer as it came home this morning. I did figure out how I was to setup the RTT with the ability to raise/lower and move it forward/back depending on travel and trailer load. Also working out how I want to carry up to 40 gallons of fuel on it too.

But the short list in a particular order is:
1) figure out running lights issue
2) RTT rack build
3) pick up a spare
4) putting the axle under the leaf springs to get a little deck height
5) add some shocks to smooth/control the ride a bit
6) setup work bench/ kitchen counter on passenger side for camp use
7) ramp/ rear board setup for loading a motorcycle

sure I will add more...

1642346723570.png

1642346767778.png

1642346817686.png