Tx_Shooter's '87 4Runner Build

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
That is also an option that is on the table; but might be more work than just shortening the current pipe.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Yeah it would be some work. Depends on what is below the seats.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I figured out a way to drop the seat 2" by building a new mounting plate for the slider to mount to the rotating top. Right now the seat is on 3/8" spacers on the slider, then a 3/8" plate between the slider and rotating top mount.

The plan is to remove the spacers and build a base mount that will put the sliders under the top of the rotating mount.

the_white_shadow

Take the swivel off and lower them down that way. Cool in theory, but doesnt seem practical in a crawler IMO.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So what does this bump do? Is there a reason I should not remove it?

IMG_20161214_171931680.jpg

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
You are probably good. If it's structural then just weld something else in its place.

Silverback

Probably a cab mount bolt. Scrape off that rubber bullshit and then heat it up with a torch and hit it with a BFH. Problem solved.

Silverback

Or put on a mask, keep fire extinguisher handy, heat with torch... it will most likely burn. Scrape off and hopefully not burn your rig down. I'd go with plan A though. :)

tx_shooter

Staff member
So my Dad is trying to get me working on my trail rig again. He picked up some 35x12.50x17 tires today that a coworker was going to toss. They are low on tread but will work for mock up fine. I might try my hand at some tread cutting on them as well.

I might end up running them for a while anyways since the guy has two more he is going to send my way that have better tread on them. Now I need to find some cheap 17" rims for the trail rig.

20180130_182032.jpg

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
I know my local JY always has steelies for cheap, I can look for you if you want me to. I need to head over there possibly this weekend to look for some parts.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Little shameful to be posting this rig in this condition; but hopefully this is the spark for the rebuild. Thanks for the 17" rims and good tires @RichardB23 . Once I get it regeared to 5.29s I will get the 35s mounted on the 17s. Until then it is street tires for garage work.

20180226_185749.jpg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Little shameful to be posting this rig in this condition; but hopefully this is the spark for the rebuild. Thanks for the 17" rims and good tires @RichardB23 . Once I get it regeared to 5.29s I will get the 35s mounted on the 17s. Until then it is street tires for garage work.

View attachment 8986
Nice wheels, yes shame on you, the bamboo sticks are ready!

In reality we need 30hr work days, so we can get more work done, my 'to do' list grows like our national debt every day

tx_shooter

Staff member
Nice wheels, yes shame on you, the bamboo sticks are ready!

In reality we need 30hr work days, so we can get more work done, my 'to do' list grows like our national debt every day

After breaking the spider gears in my DD I would have been ready for the bamboo. But this weekend should kick off a lot of body work on different rigs at my house. Hopefully I will have it ready for the trails again soon.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Tough to kill a Toyota. I had put a freshly charged battery back in it and turned the key. It cranked up and idled like it had not missed a beat in years. The clutch slave cylinder is leaking so that will need to be replaced; other than that it drove around nicely for a little bit.

Silverback

Yep.. My 81 sits for MONTHS.. this last time it was since last May and I fired it up in February.. 10 months. Had to pump the pedal to get some fuel to the ol' Weber downdraft.. but she fired up. She probably hates the fuel in the tank by this point. I have a nice big bottle of Sta-bil right in front of me as I type this. You would think I would use it. No.. I'm dumb like that.

the_white_shadow

Nope. Nope. Nope.

I like the 82-83 first gen truck grille on the 2nd gens.

upload_2018-4-26_9-54-14.png