What have you done to someone else's ride lately?

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
She ended up getting a Kia Sorento. So far I'm extremely impressed with it for essentially being a minivan without a sliding door. Blows the Highlanders we looked at out of the water. That may change in 50k miles but at least I've got 16k miles of it still being in factory warranty and not having to fuck with it myself. Good enough for me. The Equinox can be someone else's problem now.

some of my cousins only buy the smaller Kia’s for their DD’s they have gone through several, up to almost 200k before they trade them off again.

Oswego

n00b
I have two friends w/KIA's and they both love them.

I know another guy who has wheeled one all over the country including AK. That poor truck. Last time I saw him he got his car unlocked with pry bar to the door when he locked his keys in it so he's not gentle to it lol

I just remember being behind him on rock garden trails and watching that poor thing bounce off rocks like crazy. They had something like a 1" thick steel skid plate from the factory on his exhaust tips otherwise they would of been long gone

CowboyTaco

My wife had a Sorrento when I met her. It was a nice car, but ended up having cooling system issues that seemed to never end and left her stranded on more than one occasion. She was meticulous with caring for it and got mad at me for "braking too hard" because it would chew through rotors. Once I replaced the rotors, it never needed new ones again. That said, where her folks live, hot spots are common and I think that kind of messed with her head a bit.

Anyway, it was a great car and would go just about anywhere. We went exploring the Appalachicola National Forest a handful of times and got off the "road" and also had it in snow/ice several times. It was heavy and seemed well balanced.

I also studied Kia in college. You know, back when they were the extreme budget cars. They invested something like 80% of profits into R&D and continued to make improvements year after year. So I'm sure they are just fine by now.

balakay

BabyMax
Picked up a new Diehard Platinum this morning. Load tested her stock battery and it only had 41 CCA as opposed to the 800 it was supposed to have. Damn its nice working in engine bays that are clean. I should clean up the Tacoma's engine bay and put all the fender liners and stuff back on. So far, as far as I can tell, Kia actually half ass designs their stuff to be worked on by the consumer. The intake tube has to be taken off as it runs over the battery. But just two push pins and it comes right off. No bullshit hose clamps that require some special tool to take them off or anything like that. The oil filter is quick to access through the same access panel as the drain plug. Air filter isn't buried under a ton of bullshit like some vehicles.

20210109_091004.jpg
20210109_091022.jpg

Oswego

n00b
that is nice. well thought out engineering is always great. Should also speak to quality if things are laid out properly

I had to take a tire + fender liner off my moms nissan to replace her battery. so many people never put that fender liner back in after swapping them that it created a TSB for floor pans rusting out lol

fsbrain03

I changed the fuel filter in the Landcruiser this afternoon chasing some issues, thinking it would be an easy first step, it was not, but got a new one on. It is tucked up nice and tight under the intake manifold. My short arms and fat fingers don’t do well in tight spaces. After I got the drivers side tire back on, because that’s the easiest way to get to the filter, I noticed the entire wheel was still moving even after the lug nuts were tight. Opened up the hub and not good news. The little ear washer holding the axle nut on was in pieces. Luckily I have a rebuild kit, so I’ll be rebuilding it all tomorrow, if I can get the deformed nut off.
31FD500D-29F8-48DA-BEE9-36A43B603EC0.jpeg

PSU Taco85

Sounds like it is going to look really clean.

yeah I like how it came out so far. We took 1.5” off the fenders and he has a 1” body lift on there so it made fitting a little easier, but still took a lot of measure, check, cut, repeat until it cleared at full lock and full stuff with the coilover removed. The flares should clean it up quite a bit, I hate how the mounting system is for them and those holes are in the fenders they leave behind when you remove them, otherwise I would have just leave them off.

This reversible 3” cutoff tool from IR made easy to get a nice controlled and steady cut.
1ACC7CA2-CE3E-48D7-B0E5-865317CB6FDB.jpeg

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
yeah I like how it came out so far. We took 1.5” off the fenders and he has a 1” body lift on there so it made fitting a little easier, but still took a lot of measure, check, cut, repeat until it cleared at full lock and full stuff with the coilover removed. The flares should clean it up quite a bit, I hate how the mounting system is for them and those holes are in the fenders they leave behind when you remove them, otherwise I would have just leave them off.

This reversible 3” cutoff tool from IR made easy to get a nice controlled and steady cut.
View attachment 33431
Same here. I would've left mine off if it wasn't for those stupid holes. The Tacoma's look better without the fenders IMHO.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Now that I have a tube bender in my garage I have been debating even more about taking my front fender flares off and fabbing up an Australian style front fender slider. But the logical side of my brain keeps reminding me that if I am into stuff that dense and thick that a fender slider is getting used I probably should not be there with my 4Runnre.

But it would be sexy...

CowboyTaco

You've got the juice to power 35s easily.

Do the tube style fender slider and 35s. You'll get like 1,000,000 broverlander points. Plus, what if zombies?

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I know the 35s are a no. After my trip this weekend on 33s/ 285s I am pretty happy with the tire size but still figuring out the spare situation. As for the fender slider... probably going to happen. The timing will be the issue.

As for the points; I need all the points I can get. My old rig is not shiny, teched out, or remote control with an app so it is lacking in all the cool factors.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Pulled my neighbor out. Backed off the side of the cemetery driveway and buried it. 4L rear locked and didn't spin a tire pulling him out lol
20210502_112200.jpg

Last edited: