Camp recipes and food prep

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I thought we had a thread for this already but cant find it so lets get this going. All things camping food related. Recipes, ideas, stoves and burners.

I am all about pre trip prepping for food so your valuable time outdoors is not spent cooking, chopping, and cooking. I normally stick to hobo meals but want to get a dutch oven to make a few more items.

I am planning to take my son camping in 2 weeks at Lake Murray. He is a little on the picky side of food but I am pushing him to try more things so its getting better. Planning to do cheese burgers 1 night since that is a favorite for him.
I have always wanted a dutch oven but never had the motivation till now. I thought it would be fun to teach my son another way to cook things besides an oven. Thinking we can do cinnamon rolls and pizza with it but lets hear some ideas for kid friendly items to make in a dutch oven.

Pizza: pre-made dough from a can, sauce, cheese and pepperoni

Cinnamon rolls: straight out of the can and right into the dutch oven.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Yea, those cinnamon rolls cook up real nice in a dutch oven. Cinnamon rolls for the kids, biscuits for me. Wrap lil smokies or precooked breakfast sausage links in some croissants and cook them the same way. We did pizza a couple times too. I haven't figured out much else for my picky kids in a dutch oven though. I may try chicken over rice again now that my daughter has finally gotten to eating rice.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
My sammich maker did a cinnamon roll apple pie in a dutch over once. It was pretty good but a lot of food for a few people to eat.

As for camp food prep - the biggest time saver we have done is to crack eggs into a shaker bottle while at home. This way all you have to do is pour the eggs straight onto the pan for cooking at camp. No breaking shells, no trash, and less mess.

Oswego

n00b
Pizza and cin rolls could be rough. Hard to judge temps in a dutch oven. I tend to stick to wet or very fatty stuff so my burning experiences are lessened (I'm still a novice dutch oven cooker).

We cooked this recipe 2 weekends ago camping with very good results. All the kids and adults loved it. Same exact recipe as in the video, but we used Coke brand/flavor soda and no butter because one of the moms was breast feeding and the baby is allergic to dairy. If we used butter....oh my it would of been GREAT

Reactions: tex

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
We use dutch ovens a lot in Scouts, use vegetable oil along with parchment paper as a liner, you can buy liners, but they are very expensive compared to a roll of parchment paper, very little cleaning is required after cooking.

I have a couple Scouts that are in the Troop who are picky eaters...guess what Scouts can't bring any food or snacks with them on campouts it's prohibited, if I or any other Leader finds any food that the Grub Master didn't purchase it will be confiscated. It's amazing the kids always eat what the Troop/Scouts cooks and serve. (Google; why kids become picky eaters... ) My experience is not to cater to the kids, only reinforces the bad eating habits, I'm proud that my two boys are far from being in a picky eating club.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Pizza and cin rolls could be rough. Hard to judge temps in a dutch oven. I tend to stick to wet or very fatty stuff so my burning experiences are lessened (I'm still a novice dutch oven cooker).

The cinnamon rolls are really easy. Lots of coals on top, very little on bottom so they don't burn. The pizza was trickier and took longer than what it should have. I'd say cook the dough a little bit first, put the toppings on, then cook some more.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
The cinnamon rolls are really easy. Lots of coals on top, very little on bottom so they don't burn. The pizza was trickier and took longer than what it should have. I'd say cook the dough a little bit first, put the toppings on, then cook some more.
Thanks for the tips.

Oswego

n00b

I would of never thought of that. I was just thinking massive high heat all the time lol

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Test pizza I did last year. Only made it a coupe of times.

full

CowboyTaco

My sammich maker did a cinnamon roll apple pie in a dutch over once. It was pretty good but a lot of food for a few people to eat.

As for camp food prep - the biggest time saver we have done is to crack eggs into a shaker bottle while at home. This way all you have to do is pour the eggs straight onto the pan for cooking at camp. No breaking shells, no trash, and less mess.

I want her recipe / method for making the pre-made frozen breakfast burritos.

Oswego

n00b
The Pizza is bad ass. leave it to the Scouts lol Only time Ive ever had a camp neighbor give us pizza it was the scouts and now the only time Ive seen it cooked at a camp is by a Scoutmaster

I have no idea why I have never done this. I stopped even bringing eggs camping because they were such a PITA. I could make entire omelets up and just our them into the pans. I'm getting tired of powdered eggs so this is perfect timing.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
This guy has a bunch of cooking videos.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
When we enter cobbler or a desert in a competition, we usually use a fire pit ring similar to the one below, it helps keep a more consistent temp, especially if there is any slight breeze. Half way during the cook time, the dutch over gets rotated 180* over the bottom coals and then the lid with coals also gets a 180* rotation as well.

2FAECDE0-C426-4883-9B5B-B52DB30AB5C7.png

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
@tex have you tried out that little skillet yet?
Not yet. I need to drill holes in the legs and get some bolts to secure the legs in a high enough position. Right now it's not tall enough with the propane bottle attached to the burner.