Camping over there and beyond.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Camping over there and beyond.

There is a camping gear thread, and now just a Camping over there and beyond thread.

Taco Loco

Texas guys, don’t bother using TPWD reservations system right now, to book any future trips, it’s all hosed up, it will not locate your old profile to merge in the new system, which will be ran by ReserveAmerica.com now.
Such a PITA.

Taco Loco

Wait - they went to ReserveAmerica? Crap

Unfortunately yes, it’s in the process and a very bad data merge at that.

And yet ReserveAmerica doesn’t even have it on their drop down that they support TPWD.

Taco Loco

I will be on the phone tomorrow, to find out when they plan to unphuck everything. My account and some of my families accounts and some Scout parents accounts are screwed up.

I will post an update if any progress occurs, but if you need to make a reservation, call it in on the TPWD phone number.

7:45pm They just took everything offline, no reservations are currently available.

F1057458-79A5-448A-8196-AC6A76F2EEB3.jpeg

Oswego

n00b
lol

Good luck with that crap & reserve America ripping you Texans off. Screw them. We ran them pout of our state after 3 years of being forced to use them. Nothing like paying $3 a night to camp then getting slapped with Reserve America's $10 online booking fee. No thanks! So glad we changed back to a state run system. In this instance I'm all for gubment run systems. Keep it simple and cheap. No need to kick back money to a corporation for website and some logistics.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Where you getting information about Reserve America? I haven't heard that at all and can't find any documentation on it. I know they are upgrading their reservation system hopefully for the better.

Taco Loco

Where you getting information about Reserve America? I haven't heard that at all and can't find any documentation on it. I know they are upgrading their reservation system hopefully for the better.

Link sent to me when I tried to access my existing TPWD account, would not let me in, I created a new account from TPWD and ReserveAmerica email came through with my new account name etc...no where on the email does it say TPWD.

Coincidence, I thank not.

Then less than 30min after that I received email from TPWD.
C2363AF4-F8A0-45D4-A5DA-D201691A7AFA.png

Last edited:

Taco Loco

F100F369-289B-4836-B390-988883A42DBC.jpeg

Edit@4:56pm
Expected to be down for a week, if you have or need reservations during the outage only, call the park directly.

Last edited:

Taco Loco

5:30am text and it’s supposed to be back up and running now.
1C1CE900-36F0-4E93-AE2C-840D97E1F19E.png

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Issues already, can't look up my account. Used the forgot password with my old user name and it send a link to some other email. Should be fun to see if my 2 existing reservations are still valid.

Oswego

n00b
Was out this past weekend camping. Temps got down to 11* so that was a treat. Just wish we had some snow to go with the cold. First time having a few beers in almost half a year....man did I become a light weight. Had less than a 12pk and was passed out in my hammock before 9pm. Was nice waking up at 6am bright eyed and bushy tailed with no hangover.

Also had a run in with a ranger who said he was called out to check on us. Made me wonder who called on us since there were no people camping in the entire forest but no worries - we follow the laws. Only posted our location in one spot so we pretty know who the rat is.

Oswego

n00b
forgot my 'breath catcher' so my top quilt got hammered with the moisture from breathing. I usually wear a hoody I cut the neck and hood out of then clip it to my ridgeline so I don't soak myself breathing overnight. Few nights in a row of stupidity w/o drying out and I'd start getting real cold. was snug as a bug in a rug. can't beat super clear winter sky's to go to bed staring at.

full

my buddy brings a thermometer because most don't believe the temps he camps at. think they don't believe in themselves enough so they think it's impossible to have fun in the winter
full

even the pine needles like the cold weather
full

my buddy forgot his under-quilt but refused to quit. this is him drying out from Friday night.
full

also found out the hard way - never share a tree. Every time one of us moved the other woke up. not cool when you both drink 10+ adult beverages before bed and need to get up ten times to pee in the middle of the night
full

Taco Loco

My son and I completed a CPR&AED course last month and today, we just finished up the 16hour Wilderness and Remote First Aid Course this evening, 2 year certification.
It was a great course, I will probably do it again in 2yrs.

Oswego

n00b
Nice! I'd like to do a remote course myself. It's one of the items on my safety bucket list I haven't looked into yet, but should. Our union is pretty cool so I set up first aid/cpr/aed training through them last year for my guys and they let me attend/get certs even though I'm not a member and pay no dues. Did you guys get taught the "no breath" type cpr? We didn't but the course instructor said it was changing soon

Taco Loco

Nice! I'd like to do a remote course myself. It's one of the items on my safety bucket list I haven't looked into yet, but should. Our union is pretty cool so I set up first aid/cpr/aed training through them last year for my guys and they let me attend/get certs even though I'm not a member and pay no dues. Did you guys get taught the "no breath" type cpr? We didn't but the course instructor said it was changing soon

Yes, both methods

But the 2 rescue breaths cpr is still more effective, we carry face shields on key rings, backpacks, baseball bag, band instrument case etc, I bought a big pack of them.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
My son and I completed a CPR&AED course last month and today, we just finished up the 16hour Wilderness and Remote First Aid Course this evening, 2 year certification.
It was a great course, I will probably do it again in 2yrs.

How much $$ was the course?