Hearing Protection Act - suppressors for everyone!

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Just a thread to keep anyone interested in this law up to date since it will have a major impact in what options we have when using firearms now.

First; the Hearing Protection Act in the basic form is trying to remove firearm suppressors from the ATF registration of controlled firearms and accessories. The bill would make the act of buying a suppressor the same as buying any handgun, rifle, or shotgun from an FFL dealer. There would no longer be a required $200 tax stamp and 6 month waiting period for the stamp.

This bill has already been introduced in the House and Senate dockets for the 2017 session with considerable support in both chambers. Donald Trump made comments about the bill while campaigning that he would sign it when it hits his desk as POTUS. There has been some conversation that it would also pave the way for significant new market growth within the firearms industry for suppressor manufacturing and sales. Currently only a handful of major firearms manufactures make/sell suppressors. If this bill is made into law it will provide lots of growth for small and large manufactures alike.

As for hearing protection; suppressors do not make any firearm silent. A will built suppressor reduces the muzzle blast to a level that is below the threshold for hearing damage. The use of more suppressors at gun ranges and hunting leases would significantly reduce the sound pollution associated with these areas. Sadly I have to say Europe is a good example of suppressor use. There are many places where it is required that you use a suppressor or else you are ticketed for sound pollution.

A few good articles about the act (one even from Chicago):

Gun silencers are nothing to fear

Gun silencer legislation would make them cheaper and easier to buy

Link to the actual bill:

Cosponsors - H.R.367 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I really hope this passes.. and fast.

balakay

BabyMax
Yep. I need a 30 cal can for the 6.8 and .257Wby

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Doubt it will pass, refund to those who already spent money on $200 stamps is not gonna happen

Silverback

So if it passes, what does that mean for those who build their own?

tx_shooter

Staff member
They will not need a stamp to build it.

Overall the bill will make the ATF handle suppressors like regular firearms. This will allow individuals to make their own suppressor as long as they do not go "into business". I am also curious if this will allow people to buy 80% suppressors over the counter and then finish manufacturing it at home like 80% AR lowers now.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
the new legislation includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchased a suppressor after Oct. 22, 2015

This is just one business, think of all the businesses that were flooded and filed before the July deadline.

IMG_0782.PNG

Silverback

They needed a bigger truck!

tx_shooter

Staff member
I really doubt the refund portion of the bill will pass. While I would love to get my money back; I would gladly give it up if it meant the bill would pass.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
MAGA!

tx_shooter

Staff member
Round 2!

BREAKING: Hearing Protection Act Reintroduced to Congress -

This latest version is being called "enhanced" so maybe it will get a little more traction this time. It had really good odds last time until there was a random shooting right before the vote (completely unrelated). The latest sponsor is from South Carolina so maybe there will be a bit more political leveraging this time from a younger politician.

MatthewMay1

amateur professional
My dad and I were just talking the other day about why they make such a big deal over suppressors. Our rifle suppressed is still very noisy.

tx_shooter

Staff member
What setup are you running? I have shot suppressed machine guns that you can hold a conversation while shooting. It is all about the caliber/ barrel/ suppressor setup.

MatthewMay1

amateur professional
6.5 Creedmoor AR-10 with a Thunderbeast can. Bullet comes out the barrel around 3000FPS, so that's probably part of the issue

tx_shooter

Staff member
Yeah; still getting a lot of supersonic crack. Large case volumes need bigger suppressor volumes to really get some good results out of them. But nothing knocks out that supersonic crack till you go subsonic.

MatthewMay1

amateur professional
Yeah; still getting a lot of supersonic crack. Large case volumes need bigger suppressor volumes to really get some good results out of them. But nothing knocks out that supersonic crack till you go subsonic.
That’s what I figured. I’m building a 300 blackout pistol that I’m kinda excited about