Meridian State Park

unevolved

xGp1wyH.jpg

We went out to Meridian State Park last weekend to hang out with some friends. Zero offroading, but hey, camping is camping. This time of year there aren't many choices available with short (less than 3 month) notice.

OjEV7jN.jpg

Campsites were pretty small, but very clean. Had to back up on some rocks to get the tent close enough to level, but we made it work.

wgqhwDK.jpg

Pretty pronounced grade to the campsites which was annoying when setting up tents. They list a maximum of 8 campers per site, but fitting even two tents per site was a struggle.

Svs3eyw.jpg

The "long" hike around the lake was under three miles, so we were done hiking by lunchtime. Wish there was more to do, but the dog was in heaven. People everywhere, a lake to swim in, and lax leash laws.

The only thing I really didn't like was you could hear highway traffic at night. Totally killed the "relaxing sleeping outdoors at night" thing for me.

Anyone else been there? Not sure I'd go again for two nights, but it'd be a great place to go with kids, or just for a day trip. The park itself was very well maintained.

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
I haven't been there yet but it's in our list. The best state parks near dfw are glen rose, mineral wells and cleburne. They all just have a very limited number of campsites. Joe Pool used to be a good state park as well but the flood a couple of years ago took its toll. A good portion of it is still closed and they are clearing a lot of the ceaders now to restore the grasslands.

Broken Wrench

Glen rose was nice last month when we were there.

unevolved

Glen Rose is definitely on our list, but we can never seem to plan well enough to get a reservation.