Professionals thread (work related)

Oswego

n00b
I'm sure you guys are tired of me filing the home improvement thread with commercial construction BS so Ill start dumping that stuff over here. Figured if you have work related stuff regardless of your trade or job we can BS about it here.

Oswego

n00b

Oswego

n00b
lol The million dollar speculation on glass replacement costs they state is not even close to correct. Add labor and disposal of the existing glass currently installed and I'd guess 2-3 million ta the end of the day. Thats a pretty big mistake to make especially since everyone in the industry knew grey PIB in IGU's were failing 20 years prior to this installation.

Yet they maintained the same bad specifications for the glass :facepalm: Someone was negligent and someone will pay. Couldn;t of happened to nicer companies IMHO - I have and will continue to avoid anyone named in the suite because when you want it done right - they are not the people to build, manage the work, or supply the materials. Ive been avoiding that GC and those manufacturers my entire career and I'm small time. Guys putting up sky scrapers should know better than myself.

Comcast Center Suit Alleges Breach of Contract, Negligence over PIB Migration | USGlass Magazine & USGNN Headline News

Oswego

n00b
Seems like people always get distracted from the dangers by the lure of big margins.

Thats why I like small to medium sized jobs. Make one small mistake on a large job then multiply it by 15,000 windows and you've got yourself a lawyers wet dream

Guys in our local hall will be happy. They will get paid to do the job three times (Install/demo/re-install). Swapping out 15,000 windows is going to eat up some mandays lol

Oswego

n00b

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
Working in Land Surveying I get to work on projects that sometimes I cant talk about till after completion. This was a project that was difficult to work on. We had to have interaction with the City and all City employees had friends or family that passed or were impacted someway by it. Luckily the explosion occurred when school wasn't in session.

4DdFOUv.jpg

12Y3f0u.jpg

TLPeNJS.jpg

The source of the explosion was literately only a couple of hundred feet away and across the tracks. The blast was strong enough to blow out bolts in the bleachers at the football field over a 1/4 mile away.
8WHigv9.jpg

Oswego

n00b
That's an interesting twist to what kind of surveying I thought you were doing.

Mitt78

We dont do many jobs like that but we do a good mix of public and private work. Right now I’m working on a couple of large industrial sites, a tif, a city park and several S.U.E. marking locates. We don’t do oil and gas or single residential lot surveying.

Oswego

n00b
Ah - I was thinking your surveying was for some kind of crime analysis for the gubment you were working for directly/under, but that was just a gig you got hired for.

I was going to say surveying the outcome of explosions and bombs could really become a heck of a depressing job all day every day.

Oswego

n00b
Actually having to work hard this week - had two jobs that should of run concurrent until one got delayed then they both kicked off this week. Worst timing ever along w/prepping my house for mom. Got about a years worth of work monetarily all going at the same time - what little hair I had left is turning white at a expedited rate lol

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I realize most people value all real estate agents as though they were the average agent.

Just this week I was asked to help another agent by my client. He's someone that thought agents were not worth their money. Well, he chose not to listen to me when I said, "I don't recommend buying a For Sale By Owner without at least one of the sides is a licensed agent and to ensure that it's an insured transaction. Well, he didn't listen and now his home is owned by the seller's sister in law. Long and short of it. They did not get title insurance (the title insurance company would have cleared this up before the owners passed).

Turns out the quit claim deed was filled out signed in his nick name and the notary they used couldn't have used their license as the one issued by this state clearly is in another name. Oh yeah, and now it will have to go through TWO probates before it is settled. My title attorney says it may be cheaper for him to walk away and let it go to the state!

Right now I am waiting in my office for an agent that wants me to do their deal for them since it's their family and they can't do that with our Insurance carrier due to potential fraud. In 15 minutes of looking into it, I found out the lender never knew about 10k coming from the seller (considered fraud) and, the fully executed contract they handed me only lists one of the owners and it is owned by two unmarried people. Neither the Listing Agent or the Agent that has asked me to help bothered to look up in public records to ensure the owner was the right guy. That is one of the first things I do before I even write the offer. LAZY OVERPAID DOUCHEBAGS in my book.

Looks like my deeply discounted help, just turned into a higher fee and much more work.

50% of the people in my biz should have their licenses revoked.

Last edited:

Mitt78

I realize most people value all real estate agents as though they were the average agent.

Just this week I was asked to help another agent by my client. He's someone that thought agents were not worth their money. Well, he chose not to listen to me when I said, "I don't recommend buying a For Sale By Owner without at least one of the sides is a licensed agent and to ensure that it's an insured transaction. Well, he didn't listen and now his home is owned by the seller's sister in law. Long and short of it. They did not get title insurance (the title insurance company would have cleared this up before the owners passed).

Turns out the quit claim deed was filled out signed in his nick name and the notary they used couldn't have used their license as the one issued by this state clearly is in another name. Oh yeah, and now it will have to go through TWO probates before it is settled. My title attorney says it may be cheaper for him to walk away and let it go to the state!

Right now I am waiting in my office for an agent that wants me to do their deal for them since it's their family and they can't do that with our Insurance carrier due to potential fraud. In 15 minutes of looking into it, I found out the lender never knew about 10k coming from the seller (considered fraud) and, the fully executed contract they handed me only lists one of the owners and it is owned by two unmarried people. Neither the Listing Agent or the Agent that has asked me to help bothered to look up in public records to ensure the owner was the right guy. That is one of the first things I do before I even write the offer. LAZY OVERPAID DOUCHEBAGS in my book.

Looks like my deeply discounted help, just turned into a higher fee and much more work.

Title insurance is key when buying property. I also strongly suggest a recent survey. I have run across I don’t know how many easements and other encumbrances missed by title. You will also find many items listed in title that do not affect or have been vacated. Title will also insure mineral rights and leases.

I recently did an ALTA/NSPS Survey where the attorney for the buyer was from California. In typical commie fashion they can’t understand anything simple and had to over complicate it. The site was a construction site and as such nothing was completed. They had me show items to be built and color code all easement to match the schedule B exceptions. Being a surveyor worth my salt I put a big ass note stating “Items shown in gray are per engineering plans and had not been constructed at time of survey.”

Last edited:

Oswego

n00b

"You" can't fix stupied. What a mess.

Title insurance is key when buying property. I also strongly suggest a recent survey. I have run across I don’t know how many easements and other encumbrances missed by title. You will also find many items listed in title that do not affect or have been vacated. Title will also insure mineral rights and leases.

I recently did an ALTA/NSPS Survey where the attorney for the buyer was from California. In typical commie fashion they can’t understand anything simple and had to over complicate it. The site was a construction site and as such nothing was completed. They had me show items to be built and color code all easement to match the schedule B exceptions. Being a surveyor worth my salt I put a big ass note stating “Items shown in gray are per engineering plans and had not been constructed at time of survey.”

Ive seen more than a few easements issues and been involved with one that ended up dragging out for 20+ years until my mom sold that property. They are no fun.

Not sure if you got to see it but one of the links I posted from this past year was a construction project (multi story university building) that was built in the wrong spot. They didn't find out until after the foundation was set lol

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
We had a builder in my neighborhood that was ranting about how the nosey neighbors needed to leave his projects alone. He was the only person qualified to judge his work - even though we actually have two municipal inspectors in the neighborhood. lol even down to telling people we were too ignorant to use a tape measure properly.

Long story short- a week later he built a house 13' onto the neighbors lot. The property owner brought it up right before he put it on the market. I think that lot sold for $50,000 in an area where most were selling for $3,000.

Oswego

n00b
Boss changed everyone's hrs last week. If you smoke - it's now on your own time. If you eat - it's now on your own time.

Guy keeps removing benefits thinking he will maximize profits. Little does he know about managing people in the real world.

My guys in the field are going to strike and not show up to work this Friday while our office staff is submitting for overtime past 40hrs. Should be very interesting to see this shake out.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Sounds like a call to the state workforce commission would make him learn the ins and outs of legally managing people.