Secondary air pump fix??

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Not sure what year Toyota started installing the secondary air pump to help with emission crap but it seems to have a high failure rate.
When it fails all kinds of codes get thrown and the pump is around $600-$700. Someone makes a bypass kit that @RichardB23 has but I think he still has problems.
I came across this today from Metal Tech and it implies the high failure rate is from the foam filter breaking down and being sucked into the pump causing it to fail.
Anyone have thoughts on this filter in the link?
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/blog/lexus-gx460-secondary-air-intake-pump-mod-the-unimod-/

Large

I made a whole thread about this on TW before I was banned. Mine took a shit when one bank of the switching valves got stuck in the open position. I bought the bypass kit from the guy and it worked fine but it made another light on the dash come up (don't remember what it was exactly) until finally I found a pump on ebay for $100 or so and swapped it out. The guy did make another module which made the other dash light go away but not before reaming my ass for $250 or whatever he charged me. He also wouldn't give me any discount if I bought the newer module (even though it costs him probably $10 to make them).

FWIW I don't think I've seen a failure where the foam filter came apart, it's either one of the banks gets stuck open or they get stuck closed. This is coming from the 2nd gen tacos I've seen with the failures - not a 4R.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Thanks for the info. I know the failure is when it gets stuck open or closed but no idea what causes it. My mom's lexus pump failed around 70K miles while they were out of town but the extended warranty covered that.
There have been some 4runner failures but the Tacoma appears to have more or at least more post about it.

balakay

BabyMax
My dads Sequoia failed around 75k. He used the Hewitt bypass kit and no problems since.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Hewitt does not show to have an application for the 5th gen runners.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Saw this the other day.

Anathollo

Staff member

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
LOL

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Sad part is that he wants to go back.

Anathollo

Staff member
I'm betting he wants to back to sell stickers and get you tube followers.
Basically what he was doing. Not that you can make a lot of money from YouTube anymore. I think he's starting his own Tacoma forum now.

unevolved

I realize this isn't helpful at all, but just throwing in my two cents- I installed the Hewitt kit once my pump started sounding like a blow drier on cold starts, and haven't had a problem since. 4th gen 2UZ-FE.