The AR Thread

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Ok... so I want to build/buy a new AR. Budget (minus optics) is $1000. What would TOR do? Give me a parts list or a recommended weapon.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Hardened Arms makes some pretty cost effective uppers and full rifles. I have their 300BO upper on mine. Not bad for the $$

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Ok... so I want to build/buy a new AR. Budget (minus optics) is $1000. What would TOR do? Give me a parts list or a recommended weapon.

@Silverback I just emailed you a build list. It's about $600 more than a $1,000 but if you want the flattest, softest shooting AR, then follow that list. My rifle kicks a little more than a .22 rifle. :) You can ask @thekidcatcher
I prefer rifle length now that I shoot it all the time but mid-length is almost as soft with an adjustable gas block.

If anyone else wants the list then send me a PM with your gmail address and I'll forward it to you.

Oswego

n00b

So you want to know what sized tires you can fit hu? LOL. I'd ask these guys the same - and it's the only reason I stopped in this thread. Time for me as well.

Silverback

I was looking at the Ruger and S&W prebuilt AR's as a starting platform but figured there was a better way.

Silverback

@Silverback I just emailed you a build list. It's about $600 more than a $1,000 but if you want the flattest, softest shooting AR, then follow that list. My rifle kicks a little more than a .22 rifle. :) You can ask @thekidcatcher
I prefer rifle length now that I shoot it all the time but mid-length is almost as soft with an adjustable gas block.

If anyone else wants the list then send me a PM with your gmail address and I'll forward it to you.

Thanks Michael. I briefly looked it over... seems like very nice stuff. I can't go to the websites to see whats in stock though. Work blocks most sites like that. I want a 16" barrel.. something easier to carry. I have a Bushmaster Varmitster (24" SS bull barrel in .223) and its just too damn long. I want a shorty this time. I'd love a 14" barrel with a 2" pinned flash hider or similar to get the legal 16" limit.

Silverback

I opened up the ballistic advantage site on my tablet. I see they have a 14.5" barrel (3 actually) and a 2.1" flash hider that is pre-drilled to be pinned. Soo... now.. which barrel do you choose out of the three?

Anathollo

Staff member
Thanks Michael. I briefly looked it over... seems like very nice stuff. I can't go to the websites to see whats in stock though. Work blocks most sites like that. I want a 16" barrel.. something easier to carry. I have a Bushmaster Varmitster (24" SS bull barrel in .223) and its just too damn long. I want a shorty this time. I'd love a 14" barrel with a 2" pinned flash hider or similar to get the legal 16" limit.

Yeah check out the ballistic advantage for deals on their barrels. The key is to wait for holiday sales and I bet you could save a couple of hundred bucks. Personally I'd build an entire AR before purchasing something that you're going to tear apart and modify. All you need are these tools and you can build any AR you want.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tapco-AR-A...8266493&sr=8-2&keywords=tapco+armorers+wrench
https://smile.amazon.com/Somnusz®-I...&qid=1468266555&sr=8-2&keywords=ar+vise+block
https://smile.amazon.com/Somnusz®-I...&qid=1468266555&sr=8-1&keywords=ar+vise+block

Anathollo

Staff member
I opened up the ballistic advantage site on my tablet. I see they have a 14.5" barrel (3 actually) and a 2.1" flash hider that is pre-drilled to be pinned. Soo... now.. which barrel do you choose out of the three?

Get this one. I would get a .223 Wylde barrel for a little more accuracy. Get 5.5.6 if you plan on shooting junk ammo. Also this is a 1:8 twist barrel so you won't be able to shoot tracers out of it. Just a FYI. You need 1:7 twist rate to shoot tracers.

14.5" .223 Wylde Hanson Series Stainless Steel Barrel | Ballistic Advantage, LLC

Silverback

Yeah check out the ballistic advantage for deals on their barrels. The key is to wait for holiday sales and I bet you could save a couple of hundred bucks. Personally I'd build an entire AR before purchasing something that you're going to tear apart and modify. All you need are these tools and you can build any AR you want.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tapco-AR-A...8266493&sr=8-2&keywords=tapco+armorers+wrench
https://smile.amazon.com/Somnusz®-Injected-Polymer-Gunsmith-Workbench/dp/B01EW7D7AG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468266555&sr=8-2&keywords=ar+vise+block
https://smile.amazon.com/Somnusz®-Injected-Polymer-Gunsmith-Workbench/dp/B01EW7D73S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468266555&sr=8-1&keywords=ar+vise+block

I agree.. I'd rather build one than buy one but if there was something already built that had 80% of the parts I'd keep I'd do it.

I have this kit already. Wife bought it for me a few years back.

Wheeler® Delta Series AR Armorer's Professional Kit : Cabela's

Anathollo

Staff member

Silverback

So I have an upper and a lower (actually 3 lowers) and I might have a plan. Start buying the items on the list you sent Michael but also buy a pre-built weapon just to have it now. Then I'll have 3 when I'm done. :)

Anathollo

Staff member
Honestly, the most important parts on that list is the adjustable gas block, the hydraulic JP buffer and the trigger. Get whatever muzzle break you want but don't be sucked into buying a flash hider. Also, you don't need backup iron sights for each AR. Just get a quality optic and spend that $100 elsewhere or just get the sights for one AR.

Check out this trigger. It's supposed to be pretty sweet and it's made by JP Enterprises so it'll be damn near perfect quality. I'll be buying it when I have extra cash and selling my Geissle trigger.
JP Enterprises EZ Trigger System with Armageddon Gear Revolution Roller Trigger

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Backup Iron Sights make me laugh. Sure they make sense in a combat situation where you do not have time to swap out broken gear; but 90% of the rifles with them will never even do something as high speed as 3 gun.

Anathollo

Staff member
Backup Iron Sights make me laugh. Sure they make sense in a combat situation where you do not have time to swap out broken gear; but 90% of the rifles with them will never even do something as high speed as 3 gun.

You won't ever use them in 3gun lol if you have to use them, you've already lost the match

Silverback

So I may have jumped the gun a little (see what I did there :) ) but I bought a Sig M400 Enhanced for now. I liked how it was lightweight, has a great reputation behind them and the reviews online seemed very favorable (4.8/5.0). So I'll throw a reddot on it (I have a Vortex I can mount on it) and call it a day for now in it. One thing I may change out is the OD green furniture. But thats not a high priority at all.

E72B5465-FDC4-42D4-9B53-011E11A21CD2.jpg

I also dug out my new upper/lower and some other random parts to see where I stand. I think I'll order a barrel, flash hider and gas block next. Sorta start to build up another from there.

Anathollo

Staff member
So I may have jumped the gun a little (see what I did there :) ) but I bought a Sig M400 Enhanced for now. I liked how it was lightweight, has a great reputation behind them and the reviews online seemed very favorable (4.8/5.0). So I'll throw a reddot on it (I have a Vortex I can mount on it) and call it a day for now in it. One thing I may change out is the OD green furniture. But thats not a high priority at all.

E72B5465-FDC4-42D4-9B53-011E11A21CD2.jpg

I also dug out my new upper/lower and some other random parts to see where I stand. I think I'll order a barrel, flash hider and gas block next. Sorta start to build up another from there.
Fuck the flash hider. You don't need it. Get a muzzle break instead. The miculek, Lantec Dragon or JP enterprises muzzle breaks are great choices. I prefer the Miculek break because it's $40 and the quality is amazing.