Toyota Expansion in Indiana

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Toyota to add 400 jobs, sink $600M into Indiana SUV factory

So the Highlander sales are climbing in the US and Toyota is putting money into the factory to up production. They also said they are going to invest $10 billion into US over the next 5 years. I wonder if this means the 4Runner will be hanging around longer or not.

Oswego

n00b
Toyota to add 400 jobs, sink $600M into Indiana SUV factory

So the Highlander sales are climbing in the US and Toyota is putting money into the factory to up production. They also said they are going to invest $10 billion into US over the next 5 years. I wonder if this means the 4Runner will be hanging around longer or not.

I don't see why not. Isn't it produced in Japan? Sales numbers jumped from 50k in 2013 to over 110k in 2016.

"The 4Runner came in at number three in a 2016 study by iSeeCars.com ranking the top 10 longest-lasting vehicles in the US. The 4Runner had 5.2 percent of vehicles over 200,000 miles (320,000 km), according to the study."

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I think so, the 2017 4R are late this year because I think they relocated the factory and tooling in Japan because of that earthquake awhile back

I don't see why not. Isn't it produced in Japan? Sales numbers jumped from 50k in 2013 to over 110k in 2016.

"The 4Runner came in at number three in a 2016 study by iSeeCars.com ranking the top 10 longest-lasting vehicles in the US. The 4Runner had 5.2 percent of vehicles over 200,000 miles (320,000 km), according to the study."

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I wish yota would get off their ass and have a Jap 3.5eb twin turbo motor!

tx_shooter

Staff member
I am ready for a Toyota Diesel in the US. I would trade in my 3rd gen for a diesel 4Runner.

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
I just wish they made a stripped down 4R that wasn't so fancy. I mean who needs carpet and why no manual transmission?

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I just wish they made a stripped down 4R that wasn't so fancy. I mean who needs carpet and why no manual transmission?
Manuals are having a harder time meeting emission standards. These new auto transmissions are more fuel efficient. Also it's easier for parts and labor in the future since all they have to deal with is the one transmission per model.

tx_shooter

Staff member

I can agree with a basic model having just a vinyl floor that would be much easier to clean out. Personally I still prefer an auto; my old standard had me taken more pills than I wanted to when I was driving in city traffic a lot.

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
Manuals are having a harder time meeting emission standards. These new auto transmissions are more fuel efficient. Also it's easier for parts and labor in the future since all they have to deal with is the one transmission per model.
That's true but if it did have one I may have gotten a 4R this last time. If my FJC hadn't been a late October 2014 deal I would have ordered it with one. It sucked that gulf states made the manual a special order.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
That's true but if it did have one I may have gotten a 4R this last time. If my FJC hadn't been a late October 2014 deal I would have ordered it with one. It sucked that gulf states made the manual a special order.
Gotcha. Yeah it sucks when you when want a manual these days.

Oswego

n00b

I concur about the stripped down version. If they had one I'd probably of bought it instead of a Subaru. They want way too much money for them these days due to all the fancy crap I'd never need and never want. My sisters Sequoya is chock full of crap....might be the Limited - I can't remember. Dash looks like a cockpit of a plane it's got so many buttons.

Funny thing about the manual and wheeling around here... no one I know who has a manual locally hasn't added a crawl box and most also changed gears. I don't know anyone who has an auto who has done anything but change gears.
Seems to me that spending thousands of extra dollars in mods just to shift yourself isn't worth it looking back. Hope the three guys I know are happy, but it seems like a major disadvantage offroad in this region to me unless they are modified.