Toyota Part Numbers and Alternatives

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I may be suffering from pre-mature satisfaction. I just checked the Tundra disc and my stock one and it looks...

... like it's the same size. Gonna call my T connections to discuss.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Wish I could listen in and take notes. Are the Tundra calipers larger for better pressure?

Reactions: tex

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Well, I have a call into the a guy that will definitely know.

The more I am looking, I think the only difference between WG and WL is the location and angle of the hard brake line fitting. May have just been a Sunday circle jerk. Have any of you eliminated the hard line with a ss line? ... or maybe even just purchased longer lines with a male end to plug right in to the caliper? Regardless of how careful I am, making trail repairs, etc, that line ALWAYS gets buggered.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I believe that is discussed on the T4R thread in the 3rd gen area and yes. The difference is the brake line business. I do not see why a quality hose with a banjo fitting on the end would not work to replace the metal tube.

Reactions: tex

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I believe that is discussed on the T4R thread in the 3rd gen area and yes. The difference is the brake line business. I do not see why a quality hose with a banjo fitting on the end would not work to replace the metal tube.
No banjo fitting on these but same ol same ol.

Oswego

n00b
No banjo fitting on these but same ol same ol.

Mike AKA: mjp2 on TW had a Tundra conversion kit on his Tacoma a long time ago. Said it was the worst mod he had done (no idea why). Not sure if you're still on TW but he's a wealth of info.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Mike AKA: mjp2 on TW had a Tundra conversion kit on his Tacoma a long time ago. Said it was the worst mod he had done (no idea why). Not sure if you're still on TW but he's a wealth of info.
He and I talked about it once before. I think he said the worst was the rear discs with the original master cyl/abs system.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
He and I talked about it once before. I think he said the worst was the rear discs with the original master cyl/abs system.
Yeah I know F-150 owners have a lot of issues with their rear rotors warping as well.

Anathollo

Staff member
Well, I have a call into the a guy that will definitely know.

The more I am looking, I think the only difference between WG and WL is the location and angle of the hard brake line fitting. May have just been a Sunday circle jerk. Have any of you eliminated the hard line with a ss line? ... or maybe even just purchased longer lines with a male end to plug right in to the caliper? Regardless of how careful I am, making trail repairs, etc, that line ALWAYS gets buggered.

Great. :rolleyes: I was hoping this would be a different design of caliper as well.

Do you still run your OEM dust covers with your spindle gussets? I ended up taking mine off due to them rubbing.

If you end up returning them just buy a rebuilt caliper and return your OEM for a core charge. I will never rebuild one again. It takes two people to get the stupid little rubber boots on the 4 pistons and the little rubber boots tear so easy.

My main problem with this caliper design is those little rubber boots and how easy it is for anything to get in there to tear them. One little stone, branch, etc...will cause them to rip.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Great. :rolleyes: I was hoping this would be a different design of caliper as well.

Do you still run your OEM dust covers with your spindle gussets? I ended up taking mine off due to them rubbing.

If you end up returning them just buy a rebuilt caliper and return your OEM for a core charge. I will never rebuild one again. It takes two people to get the stupid little rubber boots on the 4 pistons and the little rubber boots tear so easy.

My main problem with this caliper design is those little rubber boots and how easy it is for anything to get in there to tear them. One little stone, branch, etc...will cause them to rip.
I still run the backing plates. Knowing what OEs do with systems, it wouldn't be there if it didn't help with cooling - and maybe not :)

Anathollo

Staff member
I still run the backing plates. Knowing what OEs do with systems, it wouldn't be there if it didn't help with cooling - and maybe not :)

Are you calling the dust covers the backing plates? I would say it's better to have them on in case your CV boot busts and squirts grease everywhere. This way it'll keep the rotor and pads protected.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I'll buy that for a front wheel drive or 4wd drive but not for a rear wheel drive. :)

Oswego

n00b
I'll buy that for a front wheel drive or 4wd drive but not for a rear wheel drive. :)

Touche. Never thought of it like that.

Anathollo

Staff member

Anathollo

Staff member
RWD = 2wd = no front CV's

No front CV's and 2wd/rwd still has the dust plates.

Oh gotcha. The main reason they are on there is to prevent snow or mud getting in there. Also helps keep brake dust off your suspension parts as well. But as far as for cooling goes, it can't help cool it down at all...If you think about it, the metal dust shield will heat up and continue to hold that heat.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Oh gotcha. The main reason they are on there is to prevent snow or mud getting in there. Also helps keep brake dust off your suspension parts as well. But as far as for cooling goes, it can't help cool it down at all...If you think about it, the metal dust shield will heat up and continue to hold that heat.
Having put 100s of thermocouples, pressure sensors,etc on vehicles while working at GM, I would love to know the difference in temperature difference with or without them.

Oswego

n00b
heat sink maybe :notsure:

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Funny thing, just tonight, I was 'recruited' for a special deal to help with coolling testing of a bitchin' truck of the future. :)