Tx_Shooter's Utility Camping trailer

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Figured I would put together a single thread to document progress and ideas. The end goal is a usable utility trailer that can haul two or three motorcycles and the RTT on top of the rack as needed. But I also want to be able to pull the motorcycle wheel chocks and still be able to use 10' of the 12' deck.

Last edited:

tx_shooter

Staff member
First changes - going from leafs under axle to leafs over axle and adding the ride control devices.

Deck height - before 19.5" after 24"

1643557332988.png

tx_shooter

Staff member
Liking this idea for onboard trailer storage for cargo straps and connection points.

1643557807257.png

Simple low tech method to raise the RTT while on the rack.

1643557489938.png

Last edited:

tx_shooter

Staff member
Some considerable progress on the trailer today. The initial R&D is always the hardest. Today I managed to complete two legs and mocking up one side. Once the mock up was in place it did confirm that I need to do a bit more build work on the cross bars. Thankfully I have some spare material from a previous build.

Fully lowered/ collapsed the tent will sit 5' 5" off the ground and right at/under the 4Runner roof line. Once the tent is fully raised the tent will be 7' off the ground.

1644194945696.png
1644194983599.png

The material for the cross piece is going to get upgraded and then reinforced. More to be completed later this week with a hopeful dry run in a few weeks.

1644195355374.png

tx_shooter

Staff member
All four uprights are welded on and getting finish review tomorrow. Then for connecting them with rails and cross bars for mounting the tent. I got a little happy with the welding so I have to either straighten or rebuild one of the upright inside pieces since it warped a touch.

1644889564117.png

1644889606837.png

tx_shooter

Staff member
Stabilizer jacks for the rear of the trailer should be here tomorrow. They will be the last "big" thing before the Big Bend trip.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Hit a no-joy barrier this afternoon. I finally had enough fabbed up I could test the cross bar design. No matter what I did the bars it still sagged with just my weight. Considering the RTT +2 adults will be going on the bars I am going to stop and rebuild with bigger tubing instead of 1"x1" with 1/4" wall. This will give me a chance to work out a few issues and ideas I came up with during this process also.

So version 1.0 is getting scratched - on to version 2.0 next.