2nd Gen Tacoma (2005+) Frame Rust Campaign

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
Toyota is finally acknowledging that they have a problem with the frames on the current generation Tacoma, in cold weather states: http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...tacoma-could-have-frame-rust-may-get-free-fix

I opened a case with corporate on mine, since it largely resided and rusted in PA....

Toyota has launched a limited service campaign for some 2005-2008 Toyota Tacomas currently registered in salt-belt-states due to rusting frames. Toyota has received multiple reports of Tacoma frames exhibiting "more-than-normal" corrosion.

On affected vehicles, should the frame rust through to a hole, vehicle safety could be compromised, given that critical suspension components, engine and transmission mounts, and body mountings all anchor to the vehicle's frame. In addition, the vehicle's crash-worthiness and structural integrity could be compromised.

The fix

On affected vehicles, Toyota dealers will remove the surface rust and inspect the frame for rust perforation. Should the frame be found not perforated, dealers will apply corrosion-resistant compounds to the frame at no charge to owners. Should the frame be perforated by rust, dealers will replace the frame at no charge to owners on all affected vehicles. Owners should plan on leaving the truck for a full day for proper inspection and corrosion treatment. Should a truck need a new frame, it will take at least a week to repair, and dealers will provide a loaner car.

This action applies to 2005-2008 Tacomas built between Sept 14th, 2004, through May 27th, 2008, and operated in cold weather states, which include: CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, & WV. Owners are encouraged to call local dealers with their VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to see if their vehicle is involved in this action from Toyota. This campaign will be performed until March 31, 2016, after which it will expire.

For more info or answers to questions, call Toyota Customer Service at 888-270-9371, and reference Campaign # SC-E0D, entitled: Campaign - Vehicle Frame Corrosion.

taco4x4rar

The stock frame is flimsy as shit I don't know how these things don't twist in half when flexed out

thekidcatcher

Thats some bullshit that it is only in "cold" states. Texas has just as much corrosion if you are close to the coast. Bastards

Yesmar

i oiled my frame on my current truck. i had a 2013 and when i got rid of it with 24,000miles i had surface rust on all the welds on the frame and axle/diff housing. pa uses some corrosive crap on the roads but i didn't expect it to get so bad so quick.
my buddies 05 tacoma got a new frame 2 months ago

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I've looked at a lot of pictures of Taco frames over the last few weeks. I am very glad I live in a virtual desert. :) That rust/NJ locktite is brutal stuff!

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I've looked at a lot of pictures of Taco frames over the last few weeks. I am very glad I live in a virtual desert. :) That rust/NJ locktite is brutal stuff!

That's why I tell people that "Toyota's don't break because they rust together" lol that's their secret to reliability

Oswego

n00b

Thats actually why I use Loctite on everything. It fills the voids and doesn't allow rust to weld things together. Much rather fight blue loctite than rust welded threads.