2nd Gen Tacoma front end maintenance question

Oswego

n00b
Ok.. not just the lower ball joints its anything they have that it threaded. Apparently the guy who threads shit took some time off.

Yea, I was not impressed. When I finally did get them in one was loose and leaking so I had to go buy a larger zerk. I have also seen some horror stories regarding their LCA cam bolt system for alignment. My buddy Craig's blew apart.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
It appears the ones under rockuto the tie rods for the rwd are the ones I have from factory on a 4wd Tacoma, the 4wd ones listed have the larger boots and will not work

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Moog quality has gone down hill recently, I'd shop raybestos or OEM now. That said the only thing I'd shell out OEM money for is a replacement steering rack or ps pump.
Randy nailed it on the head.

But my OEM boots tore after ~40k miles so they sucked to begin with. I think my Moog boots lasted ~5k before they tore.

Anathollo

Staff member
Yea, I was not impressed. When I finally did get them in one was loose and leaking so I had to go buy a larger zerk. I have also seen some horror stories regarding their LCA cam bolt system for alignment. My buddy Craig's blew apart.
Yep! They designed them wrong in the first place. They have a new propoerly sized set out now.

I had to go buy OEM alignment cam bolts because it wouldn't fit into my TC LCA's (make sure you cover the OEM cam bolts with a LARGE helping of anti sieze to make it easier to get out in the future).

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Did this ever get resolved... curious/bored minds want to know.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
image.jpg
Was waiting for feed back from @Taco Loco and still getting my parts list together.

Mevotech 80941 looks like they are the similar as oem, but I ordered ultra power which are greaseable, 7mm zerk with no issues, casting seems good and identical to the ACDelCo's time will tell if those wire boots hold up.

View attachment 4085

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I have a set of inner and outer oem tie rods that I am about to install. The inners were pricey... IIRC $122 my price each.

In talking with Moog Application Engineer, they don't make the inners. They sell them and they are in a Moog box, but they are made by someone else. In the aftermarket biz that is quite common.

Anathollo

Staff member
I have a set of inner and outer oem tie rods that I am about to install. The inners were pricey... IIRC $122 my price each.

In talking with Moog Application Engineer, they don't make the inners. They sell them and they are in a Moog box, but they are made by someone else. In the aftermarket biz that is quite common.
What is on the inner tie rod that can wear out? Just curious

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Same as on the outer... a ball in socket.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
220px-Tie-rod.JPG

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
ICON billet UCA
Anyone know the size/part number for the heims used on these UCAs? TIA

CowboyTaco

This seems like as good a place as any for this.

My wife took my truck to the store over the weekend. It was starting to rain and I had just finished some of the other maintenance that I mentioned in another thread. When she turned the key, I heard the aweful sound of squealing belts for about half a second. I have not looked to inspect the belt. In fact, I had forgotten about it until this very moment. When have y'all replaced the serpentine belt (if you have)?

Oswego

n00b

My wife took my truck to the store over the weekend. It was starting to rain and I had just finished some of the other maintenance that I mentioned in another thread. When she turned the key, I heard the aweful sound of squealing belts for about half a second. I have not looked to inspect the belt. In fact, I had forgotten about it until this very moment. When have y'all replaced the serpentine belt (if you have)?

when it shows signs of cracking I replace them.

I'd suspect one of your pullies is going bad not the belt or maybe your belt tension spring has sprung

just disconnect the belt and spin each pully by hand. do it when the truck is cold. if it's a bad pully it will be evident easily

CowboyTaco

I'm going to plan to check the belt first. I should be able to determine if there is any cracking pretty easily.

I just did a google search and the fine folks over at TW are saying anywhere between 70-200k. Most are saying they changed it around 130k, which is less than what I have. To be fair, only one person changed his at 70. The rest started at 130 with 2 of them doing it at 100k just because. The 200k guy was another "just because" person. So pretty evident that it can last. it just depends on conditions, I suppose.

Anathollo

Staff member

I swapped mine out around 150-175k miles. Only buy an OEM serpentine belt. They are twice as thick as the crap ones you buy from Vatozone.

Was it really cold this morning where you are? The squealing belt could just be the belt itself has shrunk due to the cold and as soon as it heats up it expands out. I know when I put an aftermarket belt on my truck, it was a little small and it caused my pulleys to squeal until the belt got warmer and expanded. I ended up taking that aftermarket belt off and keeping it as a spare in my truck. But only run an OEM Toyota belt.

CowboyTaco

I swapped mine out around 150-175k miles. Only buy an OEM serpentine belt. They are twice as thick as the crap ones you buy from Vatozone.

Was it really cold this morning where you are? The squealing belt could just be the belt itself has shrunk due to the cold and as soon as it heats up it expands out. I know when I put an aftermarket belt on my truck, it was a little small and it caused my pulleys to squeal until the belt got warmer and expanded. I ended up taking that aftermarket belt off and keeping it as a spare in my truck. But only run an OEM Toyota belt.

The OEM one is actually less than the one at AutoZone (Continental is the brand). $34 shipped for OEM vs. $35+tax for aftermarket. There is a $5 rebate, but the choice seems easy.

Anathollo

Staff member
The OEM one is actually less than the one at AutoZone (Continental is the brand). $34 shipped for OEM vs. $35+tax for aftermarket. There is a $5 rebate, but the choice seems easy.
Well you're getting a belt that is twice as thick so more material for less money. No brainer. If your old belt doesn't have cracks in it, zip tie it together and throw it in the little storage cubby underneath your back seat as a spare.

Oswego

n00b
When you do swap it - throw the old one in the truck if you have space. I always keep a spare belt. Never know when you'll need one. I keep a set of pulleys and a belt in my rear seat cubby....only because Ive blown belts and had a tension pulley blow it's spring out on me.

CowboyTaco

So the belt looks good as far as I know to look. I don't see any major cracks. Maybe a few small ones on the raised sections, but I can't really tell.

Nothing like the major cracks I see on some other folks belts. I haven't noticed the chirp again either, so I'm just going to leave well enough alone.