Roof Top Tent (RTT) Mods or questions

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Now that you think about it.... I might be peeing in my sleep.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I debated modifying my race car track setup ...

You got me for a second. I was thinking, Damn! Looks like if he's building a track, the New California cul-de-sac idea may have to be scrapped!

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
So my CVT Velcro straps that go over the outer case went to crap on the way home from BBRSP last time. So I contacted them for a warranty issue but I wanted the upgraded straps.

They had me send them some pics of the bad straps, apologized, and charged me the difference between the stock straps and the upgrades. New straps should be here next week.

Look forward to pics.

Had an issue with the first straps CVT sent; but they quickly made it right. Today I received my brand new upgraded straps. Hopefully tomorrow I will get them installed and get some pics.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
RTT shopping for a larger one. My current Tepui is a 3 person. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but weight is a concern as the max moving load for my trailer is 2o0 lbs. CVT is heavy. I can get a Tepui Autana XL which is a 4 person at a decent price and the weight is under 200lbs. It's a smaller 4 person. Any other options out there?

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
RTT shopping for a larger one. My current Tepui is a 3 person. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but weight is a concern as the max moving load for my trailer is 2o0 lbs. CVT is heavy. I can get a Tepui Autana XL which is a 4 person at a decent price and the weight is under 200lbs. It's a smaller 4 person. Any other options out there?

Get another tent like yours and run 2. Tent for the kids on the truck and a tent for you and the wife on the trailer.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Look at CVT. I love my Mt Rainer. Its a Summit series and too heavy, but they sell a non-summit series.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I did not think the CVT weighed that much but I guess it could. They make a stout tent. Is there anything you can do to brace the trailer rating up a little?

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
All the CVT 4+ person tent are over 200lbs. The trailer rack bars are rated at 200lbs moving. I'm sure there's a fudge factor, but dern those tents are heavy.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
You could always just reinforce the rack bars, I see enclosed trailers all the time with welded square tubing that comes from the frame up the side of the trailer for heavy duty ladders and scaffolding equipment.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I would just beef it up.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
We'll, I went with Tepui. Biggest driver was ordering from REI, site to store no shipping cost, 20% off coupon and my $360 ish REI dividend. Made for a good price. Some people don't like REI, I don't mind.

Last edited:

tx_shooter

Staff member
We'll, I went with Tepui. Biggest driver was ordering from REI, site to store no shipping vost 20% off coupon and my $360 ish REI dividend. Made for a good price. Some people don't like REI, I don't mind.

Sounds like you stacked up a heck of a deal for yourself. So when do we get pics of the new one mounted? What are you doing with the first RTT you had? I think @tex should be in the market pretty soon.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Sounds like you stacked up a heck of a deal for yourself. So when do we get pics of the new one mounted? What are you doing with the first RTT you had? I think @tex should be in the market pretty soon.
Just ordered last night, not sure when it'll get in and then mounted, but hopefully well before Jambo. The other tent will be for sale.

Taco Loco

We'll, I went with Tepui. Biggest driver was ordering from REI, site to store no shipping cost, 20% off coupon and my $360 ish REI dividend. Made for a good price. Some people don't like REI, I don't mind.

I try to limit my purchase from there, REI is anti 4WD and ATV trails on national and state lands, and they fund millions to lobby against the use of motorized vehicles on public lands every year.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
I try to limit my purchase from there, REI is anti 4WD and ATV trails on national and state lands, and they fund millions to lobby against the use of motorized vehicles on public lands every year.
I try not to get wrapped up into all that stuff, though I'll agree that some companies get way too involved in politics and other crap.

Taco Loco

I try not to get wrapped up into all that stuff, though I'll agree that some companies get way too involved in politics and other crap.

I understand ya, and there a few other stores like Target, Starbucks etc. we don’t even shop at, I also have cut way back on Amazon as well, cause I think putting money in their pockets is like almost voting liberal.