The Home Improvement Thread

CowboyTaco

Putting in cabinets in the laundry room. Tired of looking at the junky metal shelf with everything exposed.

Before:
20230113_125616.jpg

During:
20230114_153101.jpg
20230114_162028.jpg

I ran out of paint for the doors. I had a few leftover soft close hinges that aren't the right size. Plan to finish painting the doors when it is not raining and getting them installed. Will eventually get the proper sized soft close hinges, but the cheap ones they came with are fine for now.

In true builder quality fashion, the studs are not 16" apart. Each cabinet only has 1 stud behind it. They are attached at the frame face, so that adds some support. I'm contemplating putting a board across the bottom to help spread the load and give them somewhat of a shelf to sit on. However, for just holding laundry detergent type stuff, they are probably fine as is.

Next step is to move the washer over and add a sink. Have to redo the washer pan before I can move it though. Also need to get the trim edges for the sides and top so that they aren't just open.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Putting in cabinets in the laundry room. Tired of looking at the junky metal shelf with everything exposed.

Before:
View attachment 50032

During:
View attachment 50031 View attachment 50030

I ran out of paint for the doors. I had a few leftover soft close hinges that aren't the right size. Plan to finish painting the doors when it is not raining and getting them installed. Will eventually get the proper sized soft close hinges, but the cheap ones they came with are fine for now.

In true builder quality fashion, the studs are not 16" apart. Each cabinet only has 1 stud behind it. They are attached at the frame face, so that adds some support. I'm contemplating putting a board across the bottom to help spread the load and give them somewhat of a shelf to sit on. However, for just holding laundry detergent type stuff, they are probably fine as is.

Next step is to move the washer over and add a sink. Have to redo the washer pan before I can move it though. Also need to get the trim edges for the sides and top so that they aren't just open.
If you're worried about the cabinets falling off, you can use some Hilti toggle anchors for some extra piece of mind. I'd put a large fender washer on the screw head to help distribute the weight. Hilti 3/8 in. HTB-2 Drywall Anchor with Phillips Slotted Round Head Screws (4-Pack) 3588750 - The Home Depot

But this all depends on how thick the back panel of the cabinet is. If it's 1/4" then you'll be fine but if it's a 2mm (~1/8") then it's not gonna hold.

CowboyTaco

If you're worried about the cabinets falling off, you can use some Hilti toggle anchors for some extra piece of mind. I'd put a large fender washer on the screw head to help distribute the weight. Hilti 3/8 in. HTB-2 Drywall Anchor with Phillips Slotted Round Head Screws (4-Pack) 3588750 - The Home Depot

But this all depends on how thick the back panel of the cabinet is. If it's 1/4" then you'll be fine but if it's a 2mm (~1/8") then it's not gonna hold.

I believe they are quarter inch. Thanks for the confirmation. I will leave as is.

Anathollo

Staff member
I believe they are quarter inch. Thanks for the confirmation. I will leave as is.
Sorry, I meant, if the cabinet backs are 1/4", then you can add the Hilti toggle anchors. If the backs aresn't 1/4" or thicker, then it won't do you any good to install the Hilti's as it'll be too thin to hold any weight.

CowboyTaco

Sorry, I meant, if the cabinet backs are 1/4", then you can add the Hilti toggle anchors. If the backs aresn't 1/4" or thicker, then it won't do you any good to install the Hilti's as it'll be too thin to hold any weight.

Oh, I thought you were saying that if the back was 1/4" thick then the cabinet was built sturdy enough to hold the weight. I'm pretty sure I have a few of those anchors anyway. i'll go ahead and install them.

Edit: I think these are the ones I have: Everbilt 3/16 in. x 2 in. Zinc-Plated Toggle Bolt with Mushroom Head Screw (15-Pieces) 803912 - The Home Depot not sure about the size though. I will check.

Anathollo

Staff member
Oh, I thought you were saying that if the back was 1/4" thick then the cabinet was built sturdy enough to hold the weight. I'm pretty sure I have a few of those anchors anyway. i'll go ahead and install them.

Edit: I think these are the ones I have: Everbilt 3/16 in. x 2 in. Zinc-Plated Toggle Bolt with Mushroom Head Screw (15-Pieces) 803912 - The Home Depot not sure about the size though. I will check.
Those will work too. I'd add a large fender washer to the screw head as well.