The Home Improvement Thread

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Downstairs floor tile has been grouted.
20230321_123202.jpg

Upstairs bathroom floor is finished.
20230321_161308.jpg

I got this new 6"x6" post in. It's sitting on a Simpson strong tie base to keep it up off the ground and tied in with a Simpson angle bracket. I went with a 6"x6" post instead a 4"x4" because it was cheaper than getting 4 pieces of 6" Hardie board to trim out the 4"x4" to make it seem bigger so it'd be more proportional to the size of the house.
20230321_155710.jpg

balakay

BabyMax
I know it doesn’t look like much but we made some good progress on getting the garage cleaned out today. Pretty much everything left on this side is either stuff that belongs in the garage and needs put away or boxes we need to take inside and unpack, or stuff I’m taking to work Friday night and trashing. We took two truck loads and a car load of stuff to donation. This side originally looked like the second picture but was stacked way higher. Hopefully between me working on it tomorrow and both of us working on it Thursday afternoon we’ll be able to park at least one vehicle in there by the end of the week.
845DE9DD-F4E8-4762-9A27-D136D0D68078.jpeg

30F8F5BB-61D1-4483-987A-6D24D0A386C1.jpeg

AlienXtx

Nignog

balakay

BabyMax
Slowly coming together. Hoping to be able for the wife to park in here starting tonight/tomorrow. Have a guy coming to buy the fridge tonight and have a couple loads of stuff to take to donation/recycling and my truck bed is full of trash to dump at work tomorrow night. Once we get the last few things moved/tossed I’m gonna replace the garage opener tonight and then we’ll be able to use our garage for the first time in the 8 months we’ve lived here.

56D60D6C-9D69-4797-B304-8A6EF38F23DD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

balakay

BabyMax
Got the garage opener “roughed in”. It opens and closes when you hit the button. Good enough for the moment. Need to finish it up though. Maybe before I go to work tomorrow evening, but probably next week on a day off. I’m beat today. Between cleaning out the garage, working on the mower, a ton of yard work/destruction, and sleeping like shit the last few days, I’m calling it an early night.

balakay

BabyMax
I gave up on using the garage over a decade ago. I need a shop first.
My truck doesn’t fit in the garage anyway. So Taylor will get the right side to pair and the rest will be my “shop”.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Should keep the fridge in the garage as a beer fridge.

balakay

BabyMax
Should keep the fridge in the garage as a beer fridge.
I wanted to but it would just sit empty 95% of the time. I have plenty of room for beer in the main fridge and we have a chest freezer so not even the extra freezer space was needed. I’d rather have the $100 I got for it.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
$100.. that fucker would sit in my garage. Someone got a good deal.

AlienXtx

Nignog

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

Anathollo

Staff member

Anathollo

Staff member
I got all but the two bathroom doors hung upstairs. I'll hang those this coming weekend when the bathroom tile is finished.

The tile outside is finished at the front door, back patio and the last step off the deck stairs. It looks so much better than the bare concrete.

20230325_150839.jpg

20230325_150856.jpg

20230326_085947.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
Friday- Got the downstairs AC unit back in and hooked up. Electricians put in the last breaker for my panel. Tile guys were putting in the tile in on the Master bathroom. I picked up the toilets for the house, cleaned up & organized stuff around the house and mowed the lawn.

Saturday- I hung more doors and cut out all of the door trim pieces so I can install them on Sunday.
Tile guys finished grouting the bathrooms.
Master bath:
20230401_111855.jpg
20230401_152203.jpg

Upstairs Girls/Guest bathroom tub niche:
20230401_152259.jpg

Downstairs bathroom:

20230401_162528.jpg

20230401_162539.jpg

Sunday- I worked 11 hours and got all of the door trim cut, put together and installed upstairs. It was a great day getting all of this door trim wrapped up and I was the only one working at the house so I was able to get way more done. I got a few doors finished downstairs too.
This is the design my wife wanted to go with. We didn't want the full craftsman trim detail because we only have 8' ceilings and that is too low for that much detail so we mixed a couple of craftsman styles together to get this simple layout. I'm glad she choose this style because this was really easy to make and it was way cheaper lol The prices for trim is out of this world now (I can't believe how much basic pre-primed trim costs these days. It's the same price as custom profile hardwood trim was four years ago).
20230402_160032.jpg

Downstairs garage:
20230402_180353.jpg

Last edited: