Video Game Dorks

balakay

BabyMax
One of my sons is wanting a ASUS Tuf 15.6 gaming laptop, $1k is my budget.

What configuration is best??
Any suggestions?

Looking at thus one
ASUS TUF F15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD 144Hz Adaptive-Sync Display, Intel Core i5-11400H, GeForce RTX 3050, 64GB RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD, Webcam, RGB Backlit Keyboard, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home, Grey https://a.co/d/82weDXK
I’d personally rather have the 2TB SSD, 32gb RAM configuration. Games these days are big and will fill up 1TB quickly.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I’d personally rather have the 2TB SSD, 32gb RAM configuration. Games these days are big and will fill up 1TB quickly.

Thanks.

Ok I ended order the faster processor one with the I7 and nicer video card(the card has built in 12gb of memory), I spoke with @Silverback yesterday, the addtional ram and drive space can be easily added later, upgrades to a video card in a laptop not really an option.

balakay

BabyMax
My laptop screen died last week. Looked into replacing it and didn’t think it was worth the money. So looked at replacing the laptop and for what it would cost me to replace it, I could build a PC for not much more. So this morning I ordered all the parts to build a “gaming” PC. Bit overkill since I play a game on PC maybe once a week if I see my buddies online. But mostly doing it because I haven’t built one in about 10 years and wanted to do it again. Also went with AMD CPU and GPU this time. Never used their products but after a bit of research it seems that they’re the way to go these days. All the parts should be here by Friday so hopefully I’ll get it built up this weekend unless I forgot to order something important, which I’m sure I did.

balakay

BabyMax
My laptop screen died last week. Looked into replacing it and didn’t think it was worth the money. So looked at replacing the laptop and for what it would cost me to replace it, I could build a PC for not much more. So this morning I ordered all the parts to build a “gaming” PC. Bit overkill since I play a game on PC maybe once a week if I see my buddies online. But mostly doing it because I haven’t built one in about 10 years and wanted to do it again. Also went with AMD CPU and GPU this time. Never used their products but after a bit of research it seems that they’re the way to go these days. All the parts should be here by Friday so hopefully I’ll get it built up this weekend unless I forgot to order something important, which I’m sure I did.
So I realized today I fucked up and ordered the wrong CPU and was going to be bottlenecking my system because it wouldn’t allow for PCIe4 to be used and also wouldn’t support 3600Mhz RAM. Luckily I ordered from Amazon so I cancelled the order today before it shipped and grabbed a 5700x instead. Much mo betta. And it’ll be here today instead of Saturday.

balakay

BabyMax
Motherboard, CPU, SSD, and RAM all showed up. Case and CPU cooler
DC52EB7E-F95C-4735-B56F-DA511BC8FC5F.jpeg
BC2CA44B-DBFD-4F28-8432-7B001BA6A30C.jpeg
gets here tomorrow, power supply and GPU on Thursday then she should be ready to… sit on my desk and do nothing besides like 2 hours a week. But it’s got enough RGB lights that it should look annoying while doing so and that’s all that matters…. More lights!

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Motherboard, CPU, SSD, and RAM all showed up. Case and CPU cooler View attachment 50058View attachment 50059gets here tomorrow, power supply and GPU on Thursday then she should be ready to… sit on my desk and do nothing besides like 2 hours a week. But it’s got enough RGB lights that it should look annoying while doing so and that’s all that matters…. More lights!

Nice

balakay

BabyMax
PC is up and running. Still have a few kinks to work out and a ton of cable management but should be all wrapped up tomorrow. Man the PCs of today are way more complex of a build than the ones I built 10 or so years ago. Took me a bit to even get it running.

PSU Taco85

Maybe I’m out of date but I thought all the bullshit computers todays are just all in ones like the old macs, they are so cheap to buy I’ve never specd out a build.

balakay

BabyMax
Maybe I’m out of date but I thought all the bullshit computers todays are just all in ones like the old macs, they are so cheap to buy I’ve never specd out a build.

This was more of a "just because I wanted to" thing. I could have bought a computer at Best Buy that would do everything I need it to do for half the price. But I enjoy the building aspect of it.

PSU Taco85

This was more of a "just because I wanted to" thing. I could have bought a computer at Best Buy that would do everything I need it to do for half the price. But I enjoy the building aspect of it.

Gotcha, that’s nice plus you can customize to exactly what you’ll be using it for. I used to build them back in the day too but haven’t went down that rabbit hole in a long time. I’ve already got too many expensive hobbies lol.

balakay

BabyMax
Done. Should be a good media center for the man cave. All streaming, games, everything will be through here. Only other thing I need to add is some good speakers. The one on the monitor suck. But I’ll deal with that later. May upgrade the bedroom sound bar and just use that for in here.
9A68C889-EA51-4548-B7AC-3912A9A104A7.jpeg

balakay

BabyMax
Thought it would be annoying having a light show a couple feet from me but the case actually has tinted glass so it’s not as bright as I thought it would be. I turned all the lights off and actually found that I prefer them on. Ignore the cable management, waiting on some specialty cables and adapters so I can clean it all up.

balakay

BabyMax
Underestimated how big todays games are when I built my PC a few months ago. Pretty close to filling up the 1TB SSD so today I added a 2TB SSD and migrated my games over to it. Should last me a little bit longer. While going through the games I saw Diablo 3 and figured I’d give it another play through before Diablo 4 comes out in a few weeks. This series is just always good.
IMG_2060.jpeg

AlienXtx

Nignog
Never played it.
I've got to invest in a PS5 soon. That new Star Wars game is calling my name. I cannot get into the PC side of things, just doesn't appeal to me.

balakay

BabyMax
Never played it.
I've got to invest in a PS5 soon. That new Star Wars game is calling my name. I cannot get into the PC side of things, just doesn't appeal to me.
I enjoy PC way more than console. And the few games I enjoy more with a controller I can just Bluetooth a controller to the PC. But its easily 2-3x more expensive than a PS5 to get something that will perform at the same level as a PS5.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Diablo 3 was/is one of my favorite games. Hell the whole Diablo series.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I enjoy PC way more than console. And the few games I enjoy more with a controller I can just Bluetooth a controller to the PC. But its easily 2-3x more expensive than a PS5 to get something that will perform at the same level as a PS5.
My son sold his PS5 (little shit) and has switched to PC. I think he bought his uncles setup. He doesn't talk about it to much.