Anathollo's build

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Got the passenger LED light in. I'll need to take out my dual battery to fit the driverside LED light in because of the way the LED light fits in. So I just left the old LED light in for now.

Got my rear shocks installed. Also realized that UPS didn't deliver one of my coilovers so I guess I'll wait until next weekend to install my rebuilt coilovers.

20200816_100841.jpg

Last edited:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Who did you send them into be rebuilt by and what did they charge?

Anathollo

Staff member
Who did you send them into be rebuilt by and what did they charge?
I sent them to Downsouth Motorsports. And it cost a fuckton because I have all the specialized CDC control valve shit on my shocks that I shouldn't have bought and they are one of the few dealers that are certified to rebuild them. I'll text you.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Got it.. thanks.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
303 Shocks in Denver is who is rebuilding my brother's Kings. All of the shops in the Denver area turns to them for rebuilds.

Anathollo

Staff member
Finally got my front coilovers and secondary shocks installed. So far on the initial drive, it's riding so much better than before.

I went with 3" x 14"L x 700# King coils this time around. They are set at 1" of preload already. So now I'm 2" higher in the rear with this setup and think I'll run it this way for awhile. Before I was only 1" higher in the rear but that made me run too much preload (and it was on 13"L springs).

Forgot to take pics with the tires off because my phone was in the garage and it was damn hot outside. Just tried to get done as fast as I could.
20200829_171730.jpg

20200829_171742.jpg

Oswego

n00b
Hope it works out for you. Ive always enjoyed the ride w/less preload/lift in my truck vs riding in friends preloaded/lifted trucks. Twas a time a buddy had a very similar set up to mine (same exact front shocks) and his always rode so brutally harsh with a jacked up 3" lift in comparison.

Anathollo

Staff member
Hope it works out for you. Ive always enjoyed the ride w/less preload/lift in my truck vs riding in friends preloaded/lifted trucks. Twas a time a buddy had a very similar set up to mine (same exact front shocks) and his always rode so brutally harsh with a jacked up 3" lift in comparison.
Yeah I'm still debating taking out my extra AAL in the rear leaf packs. That should drop the rear a bit.

But yeah, come to find out that shocks weren't valved together from the factory. Icon just pulled two standard CDC coilovers off the shelf and mailed them to me while they were custom building my secondary shocks. So I was running 4 independent shocks for awhile. Now they are all valved to work together, so it should be a smoother ride.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Yeah I'm still debating taking out my extra AAL in the rear leaf packs. That should drop the rear a bit.

But yeah, come to find out that shocks weren't valved together from the factory. Icon just pulled two standard CDC coilovers off the shelf and mailed them to me while they were custom building my secondary shocks. So I was running 4 independent shocks for awhile. Now they are all valved to work together, so it should be a smoother ride.

sweet

Oswego

n00b

Thats why I love DSMS..... I don't remember if it was Rodger or someone else who got me drinking the cool aid about them, but Ill be a life long customer based on my experiences with them.

Anathollo

Staff member
Thats why I love DSMS..... I don't remember if it was Rodger or someone else who got me drinking the cool aid about them, but Ill be a life long customer based on my experiences with them.
Yeah DSMS took care of me. I paid for it for sure but it was a pleasant overall experience. I think this is the smoothest ride my truck has ever had on the highway with the current valving.

Anathollo

Staff member
Borrowed a little carpet cleaner to get out some coffee stains in my carpet where I spilled a cup of coffee awhile back on accident. It took an hour to get most of the stains out and I also took out the passenger seat so I could clean underneath it as well.

Anathollo

Staff member
Well this one hurts to post but this happened to me on Sunday at my gun range. It looks like either the bolt backed out on the shock which caused the top shaft to crack OR the top shaft pulled out and was bouncing around which caused the bottom shock bolt to back out. Either way, it fucking sucks but that's part of life. I mailed it off to DownSouth on Monday to get rebuilt...again. :facepalm:

I know I torqued the bottom shock bolt to spec because I remember doing it. But what I didn't do this time was use loctite on the bolt like I normally do.

@tx_shooter I know....I know....I should've bought Kings instead. :(

20200927_150716.jpg

20200927_162929.jpg

20200927_162936.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
That sucks man. I hope they take care of you because that shouldn't happen.
It was more than likely my fault that the shock failed so I'll be paying for the rebuild again. Only bolt that I've lost off my truck in the 13 years I've owned it (I had one nut and washer come off years ago, but I found them so it doesn't count lol).

CowboyTaco

I don't see how it could be your fault if you know you torqued the bottom bolt and the top is still in place but the rod came loose from the body.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
That top bolt is still in place. How is that your fault??

I am not saying you should have bought Kings; but you have had a lot of tough luck with those shocks.

Anathollo

Staff member
I don't see how it could be your fault if you know you torqued the bottom bolt and the top is still in place but the rod came loose from the body.
That top bolt is still in place. How is that your fault??

I am not saying you should have bought Kings; but you have had a lot of tough luck with those shocks.
More than likely the bottom bolt fell out awhile ago and the shock was suspended from the top bolt getting slammed into the dirt road on the gun range which caused it snap.

CowboyTaco

But you just got those back on and you said you specifically remember torqueing it to spec. That shouldn't happen. I hope DSMS takes care of you.

I assume you've already checked all the other bolts?

I'm gonna say it, shouldn't have bought Icons. :D

FTFY.