Just Relo@ding

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Do any of y’all reload shotgun shells. I have 3 machines I keep setup for reloading but haven’t been able to keep powder in stock here in NJ. It’s cheaper for me to drive to Delaware and buy box ammo at cabelas than to reload which seems crazy but I’ve ran the numbers and it pisses me off because I enjoy reloading but not if it won’t save me money. I will still make a few “custom rounds” but not use for my range rounds.
My stepdad was an avid shotgun reloader back in the day. But then shells became so cheap that he stopped reloading them. He would reload some spicy goose shells every now and then when he got bored. I think I've still got a box or two of his reloads left in the ammo safe and I'll make sure I shoot them out of his shotgun instead of mine lol

Last edited:

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I am still collecting brass and deals on components when I find them. Just not in a hurry right now and I have enough loaded and ready to get me by for a heated discussion or three.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So I finally joined a reloading discord server for notifications on stock. Within the first 24 hours I was able to order 1k small rifle primers and 8 pounds of H4350 powder from the notifications. The evening before I also ordered 500 pieces of 115gr 308 bullets. So I will need to dust off the reloading press and process some brass and bullets soon. It will be nice to have "enough" ammo on range trips.

Now to get some 6.5 Creedmoor loaded up to get tuned up before July's axis trip.

CowboyTaco

How much were the primers?

I feel like I used to get them for like $28 / 1000, but all I'm seeing anymore is $80/1000. Have they gone up that much in price, or am I remembering what I used to pay wrong?

Edit: maybe it was $38. I think it was $38.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I have boxes from 2018 that were $45/1k primers. I paid $89/1k + $15 hazmat for them yesterday. I have not found primers under $80 since before covid. I mainly picked them up because they were match grade and available so I will not dip into my stash numbers too much with the Creedmoor reloading.

CowboyTaco

Guess I'm gonna have to use up what I have and then bite the bullet and buy some more. Still cheaper than buying factory ammo.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Yeah, don't expect primer or powder prices to drop over 1/4 the price in the next year. The demand is still stupid high and climbing. So many people have started reloading during the last two years that the industry will be behind for a while.

Anathollo

Staff member
Yeah, don't expect primer or powder prices to drop over 1/4 the price in the next year. The demand is still stupid high and climbing. So many people have started reloading during the last two years that the industry will be behind for a while.
Literally the WORST time in history to get started into reloading and yet the hobby has taken off like wildfire.

CowboyTaco

Thankfully, I have some reserves. I still haven't setup a reloading bench in this house, but I'm getting the itch to get it setup. Mainly, like you said, the ammo shelves being bare.

I kind of figured all the components were going to the big time manufacturers right now who are trying to keep up with demand for factory rounds, and that was what was causing shortages of everything.

Anathollo

Staff member
Ammo shelves being empty for a year scared a lot of people..
Yeah but you couldn't find reloading components, so what was the point? (just venting at the stupidity of it and mad at myself for not getting a reloading setup before this shit hit)

tx_shooter

Staff member
There were a few large gov contracts that made the situation worse. Depending on the tightness of the tin foil hat it may or may not have been on purpose.

CowboyTaco

Thoughts on the Lee Progressive 4000 press?

I do not much care for single stage loading 9mm.

I was thinking about getting the 45acp version since I already have 9mm dies and just swapping out the base plate to do both.

tx_shooter

Staff member
The Lee is a good setup. Cheap enough you can buy one and leave it setup for the caliber. My SOT friend does that with Hornady progressive presses.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Thoughts on the Lee Progressive 4000 press?

I do not much care for single stage loading 9mm.

I was thinking about getting the 45acp version since I already have 9mm dies and just swapping out the base plate to do both.

You better price and locate a ton of primers before you buy the cheapest part, which is the press equipment.

CowboyTaco

You better price and locate a ton of primers before you buy the cheapest part, which is the press equipment.

Local shop has plenty of MagTech primers for $129/1000. More than I want to spend, but at least it is available.

I also have about 1000 from before things went sideways.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Local shop has plenty of MagTech primers for $129/1000. More than I want to spend, but at least it is available.

I also have about 1000 from before things went sideways.

If you plan on reloading, keep a minimum 5k large and small primers