The Garage or Shop Improvement Thread.

CowboyTaco

I will probably still insulate the garage door...more for the winter than summer. It gets cold in there, so I imagine it would have some benefit. I can just hope that it would have some, if even minor, impact on the temps in there during the summer.

I'm still considering putting an exhaust fan. The front of the house has a vent that is decorative but functional (at least I'm pretty sure it is functional). If I can get the hot air evacuated from the garage and from the small attic to the outside, that should - at least in theory - reduce garage temps in the summer.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I will probably still insulate the garage door...more for the winter than summer. It gets cold in there, so I imagine it would have some benefit. I can just hope that it would have some, if even minor, impact on the temps in there during the summer.

I'm still considering putting an exhaust fan. The front of the house has a vent that is decorative but functional (at least I'm pretty sure it is functional). If I can get the hot air evacuated from the garage and from the small attic to the outside, that should - at least in theory - reduce garage temps in the summer.
It does for sure. I put a squirrel cage on my garage roof and it alone dropped the temps by 20°. The temps went from 120° to 100° in the garage lol

MatthewMay1

amateur professional
My shop had a bunch of cedar trees along the southwestern side until all the trees in that row caught a disease and died. The shop gets seriously hotter now and I hate it. I need to add some insulation to the wall and plant some new trees. I have two window units and they work okay, but I have to start them early in the morning. Once the building gets hot, it’s not gonna cool off until night.

Anathollo

Staff member
My shop had a bunch of cedar trees along the southwestern side until all the trees in that row caught a disease and died. The shop gets seriously hotter now and I hate it. I need to add some insulation to the wall and plant some new trees. I have two window units and they work okay, but I have to start them early in the morning. Once the building gets hot, it’s not gonna cool off until night.
Yep, I start the window unit the night before so the garage is nice and cool (at my mom's house).

At my new house, I'm putting a duct in to always blow cool air into the garage and I'll be putting in insulated garage doors as well.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
My side/golf cart garage has an HVAC duct to it and it is great. I can work out there year round without issue. It is definitely one of the nicest things about my current setup.

PSU Taco85

I bought a small extension cord for the AC unit and a coupler for the exhaust hose. I can now move it right over to the lift if need be.
C2BDECFF-D6D1-49D9-A514-75DD83780A56.jpeg

6B5FF5EB-5750-4DBE-BF01-373DB137ECE3.jpeg

I wanted to also verify voltage balancing on the split phase and voltage drop at the unit to ensure I don’t burn it up. I believe the minimum voltage for NEMA standards is 103.5VAC for a nominal 120 motor so I have plenty of margin with it running, at least during the evening with taps set for higher grid voltage.
90FF30A5-0641-4069-8069-096C53D6672A.jpeg

B7F83A41-EE00-4000-A5F8-841ACF1F514D.jpeg

Anathollo

Staff member
I bought a small extension cord for the AC unit and a coupler for the exhaust hose. I can now move it right over to the lift if need be.
View attachment 36444

View attachment 36445

I wanted to also verify voltage balancing on the split phase and voltage drop at the unit to ensure I don’t burn it up. I believe the minimum voltage for NEMA standards is 103.5VAC for a nominal 120 motor so I have plenty of margin with it running, at least during the evening with taps set for higher grid voltage. View attachment 36446
View attachment 36447
I always think of this scene when people talk about how reliable the grid is lol

MatthewMay1

amateur professional
Yesterday I started both the air conditioners in my shop in the morning and at 3pm it was about 80° in there but it sure did feel cooler than 80 when I walked in from outside. I actually have a third window unit in the garage not doing anything. I need to move my kayak to another wall so the window is unblocked and I can install the other unit. Three units and some insulation would have me set up for next summer I think

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
BURN!!!

CowboyTaco

Finally got my LEDs wired up. I was originally planning on getting fancy and having a switch on the wall. Then I realized I could keep it way simpler and cheaper by just getting a surge protector with long cord. Got that held up by some screws and the cord with some anchors that look like staples. Another cheap surge protect at the outlet with on/off switch that was laying around. All in for around $20 and no permit required.

1627993120557.png

PSU Taco85

Sometimes it's the little things that are the most satisfying. Simple mod to the HF jack to make operation a little simpler and more efficient, no more dicking with the handle to adjust the jack release
IMG_3060.JPG

These bags were on sale for $10 at HF, fits my rear axle press tool and all the accessories perfectly and will hopefully prevent me from losing any of the adapters
:rolleyes:

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

PSU Taco85

Got tired of looking around for the time in the shop, got this off eBay. 6” tall letters and 18” long. Doesn’t look that big once it’s up on the wall but it’ll do rather than checking my phone if hands are greasy or dirty. It can also display temp and calendar for dates if you enable scrolling mode.
17636C2E-76A3-45A6-9AF9-C214BF0A6A55.jpeg

With lights off
A3661AAD-AF4A-462C-94A4-1C89166E781F.jpeg

With lights on
8A404304-7AAE-48BA-B023-5C6CC2F8111C.jpeg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Gonna be a nice morning commute out to the shop this morning, it's nice and cool out. Trying to knock out a few projects so I can get my shop back in order, which probably won't happen till next week.

20211006_070954.jpg

PSU Taco85

Picked up a cabinet the other week from a CL find. $50, and I spent another $5 on some missing clips and bolts for the shelves. Might not be the prettiest but works perfect for what I'll be using it for.
65627910197__D9B3E561-E6B6-4A35-A037-CB5F5B1D3297.JPG

Started moving some of my hunting clothes for fall season in here, better than keeping in the spare bedroom closet lol
IMG_3683.JPG

Last edited: