The Home Improvement Thread

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Insulators came out today and spray foamed the attic.
20221212_151321.jpg

While they were doing that, I sistered this floor joist. I had been putting it off and finally got around to it since I won't be able to install once it's been spray foamed. This is an approved repair by the structural engineer (I designed the repair & spec'd the fasteners and he signed off on it).
20221212_134929.jpg

I run a bunch of Smurf tube for any place I am or might put a TV for future cabling. This was my first time installing Smurf tube and it's pretty sweet. I drilled a 1" hole in the blue electrical box and the 3/4" male ENT fitting just screwed right in. No need to use a locking washer on the inside because it's such a tight fit.
20221212_134837.jpg

20221212_134845.jpg

I got the flood light installed for the garage. I installed this same light at my mom's in ~2018 or earlier and it puts off just enough light to see but not be overbearing. I also angled this light slightly more towards the garage so it shines on my garage and not the neighbor.
20221212_145445.jpg

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Got a link for that exterior light?

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Insulators came out today and spray foamed the attic.
View attachment 48991
While they were doing that, I sistered this floor joist. I had been putting it off and finally got around to it since I won't be able to install once it's been spray foamed. This is an approved repair by the structural engineer (I designed the repair & spec'd the fasteners and he signed off on it).
View attachment 48992
I run a bunch of Smurf tube for any place I am or might put a TV for future cabling. This was my first time installing Smurf tube and it's pretty sweet. I drilled a 1" hole in the blue electrical box and the 3/4" male ENT fitting just screwed right in. No need to use a locking washer on the inside because it's such a tight fit.
View attachment 48993
View attachment 48994
I got the flood light installed for the garage. I installed this same light at my mom's in ~2018 or earlier and it puts off just enough light to see but not be overbearing. I also angled this light slightly more towards the garage so it shines on my garage and not the neighbor.
View attachment 48996

Very nice sir! Keep at it!

Anathollo

Staff member

Anathollo

Staff member
Downstairs subfloor got sprayfoamed and my order of Rockwool insulation came in two weeks early! So that was an unexpected surprise. And then my master bathroom vanity came in as well so I had to make 3 trips to home Depot to pick it all up.
20221213_094249.jpg
20221213_171347.jpg
20221213_171350.jpg
20221213_185146.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
My damn dryer shredded a belt so I took it apart, cleaned it out and ordered a new belt. Should be here tomorrow.

Anathollo

Staff member
Worked my ass off this past weekend. Hurts to walk and my hands are swollen pretty bad.
I had a couple of guys come help me work. One guy was caulking the exterior stud bays of the house and the other was on stilts helping me install Rockwool R23 insulation. We got 90% of the downstairs done on Saturday and I finished the last 10% on Sunday.

So I'll have ~5.5" of spray foam along with 5.5" of Rockwool insulation. Since the garage is right under the master bedroom and the girls bedrooms, I wanted to go overkill and try to sound deaden the second story floor as much as I can so I can work on projects late at night (especially since my garage will be A/C'd). All total, it was 43 bags of insulation.
While my painter was upstairs caulking, he was dragging a ladder around and walking around upstairs. The more Rockwool we installed, the quieter his movements got.
20221217_131306.jpg

20221217_153624.jpg
20221217_153616.jpg

I also wrapped up a dozen other small little jobs as well on Sunday. It's just one small job after the next to get to the finish line.

Taco Loco

Anathollo

Staff member
Replaced my dryer belt yesterday and took the back of the dryer apart to do a deep clean on it. I found some screws, drill bits, spent .22 case and my wife's expensive hair clip in the back. Also vacuumed out a ton of dryer lint. So now my dryer is whisper quiet again with all the shit gone lol I didn't realize how loud it had gotten until I turned it on for the first time after fixing it.

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
I picked up my order of 84 batts of Rockwool 3.5" wall insulation. Moved 2 pallets worth the day before and took off work at lunch so I could pick up the rest yesterday. I am wore out. Next time I won't be a cheapass and I'll have them delivered to my house instead lol This trailer is only partially loaded. I forgot to take a pic of it fully loaded.
20221222_162436.jpg

Last edited:

Silverback

My pool has a bunch of ice on the water falls and stuff but nothing else.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

Taco Loco

Silverback

Everything has been fine here.. knock on wood.

Anathollo

Staff member
Lost a PVC outdoor spigot that I repaired last year at my moms. It was fully wrapped with insulation so I'm pissed it broke again (before I repaired it, it was uninsulated).

My neighbors across the street in an old 1920's house had everything freeze over. They are getting water from us.

My furnace stopped working about midday yesterday, so I tried some stuff to bring it back online last night when I got home from work but nothing worked. So we left it off and used space heaters around the house to keep the house warm. Well this morning, the nest turned back on and the furnace is working just fine again thankfully.

Anathollo

Staff member
Got a lot done today at the house.

I wired in a couple of outlets for future rear speakers (5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Haven't researched or decided which system will fit my house best. Future me problem lol). I was going to do this later but said screw it while the wall was open & uninsulated and put in the outlets.

Wired in an outlet for a carbon monoxide/smoke detector in my equipment room downstairs. This was on me and not my electrician as I forgot to include it on the drawings.

I got my window back in after having the broken glass replaced! It's really nice to have that back and brings in a ton of light to that corner of the house.
20221227_085752.jpg

I got the last of the exterior walls caulked up. Really glad to have all of that done and that tedious job will pay off in the future as all the little holes where bugs, moisture or wind could get in, is caulked over.

I have a guy helping me install the wall insulation and he got the master bedroom, master bathroom and girls room insulation installed.
20221227_154222.jpg

20221227_154241.jpg

20221227_105742.jpg
20221227_105748.jpg

Just with the spray foam in the attic & downstairs along with the Rockwool R23 insulation downstairs, the house is at a nice stable temperature and much warmer than outside. I ran a Mr. Buddy heater upstairs and it made more of a difference than I was expecting it too.