bakerla's no name Tacoma

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
How many miles are on it? Have you ever changed the trans fluid?

Silverback

Well good luck man, I hope it's something simple.

PSU Taco85

Truck wouldn't shift in Ouray. Lucky we were close to a shop, they diagnosed the cable broke off the shifter, got it back on but it's rough shifting to P, R and D. Something else is going on with it. In Creede now for a couple days, hoping we can make it home when it's time.

I know the 2nd gens are plagued with a NSS issue where they seize up, it can be a bitch to get it off the transmission.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I know the 2nd gens are plagued with a NSS issue where they seize up, it can be a bitch to get it off the transmission.
could try pushing the manual detent that is used for tow trucks

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Got it in D. Weirdest thing, had to hold shifter in D to get it to stay. Made it 25 miles holding the shifter to the shop. Got to the shop and now the shifter engages all gears no issues. Still ain't normal, heading home.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Got it in D. Weirdest thing, had to hold shifter in D to get it to stay. Made it 25 miles holding the shifter to the shop. Got to the shop and now the shifter engages all gears no issues. Still ain't normal, heading home.

Yeah I wouldn't want that shifting on its own at 70mph. Be careful @bakerla!!

Silverback

Best of luck!

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Think I found the source of the issues. This bracket broke loose, assuming this affected the shifting enough to be an issue. At some point the cable broke loose from the shifter inside the truck. Good thing this occurred in the parking lot of the hot springs. The shop in Ouray was able to reattach, but said they didn't have the correct "bushing". At least that held. I had tried 2 other shops afterwards, both mentioned they wouldn't be able to get parts in time to help me with the assumption it was a shifter cable needing to be replaced.

full

full

Silverback

I'd like to know what this is supposed to look like. I guess there's also supposed to be a nut holding this bracket.

I'll get out there and see if I can't take a photo under my truck of that part.

Silverback

I would go to Home Depot and buy some self tapping screws, use one to hold in place until you get home. I don't think there is anything above it, appears to be under the drivers seat. But I think a self tapper and some JB Weld and its fixed! This is what mine looks like. Mine may be missing a nut on that second stud, might think about finding a nut for it.

IMG_9779.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

Last edited:

Silverback

Use the nut that is on the section that broke off to mount it using the stud that is left as well.

PSU Taco85

Glad it was an easy fix, looks like the cable may have gotten to close to the exhaust at one point and time too, just make sure it didn't melt to the inner jacket otherwise you'll get corrosion inside the cable and turn into a nightmare down the road

1664040569500.png