Military Veterans

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Looks like another failed recruiting goal for the year even with the $35k signing bonuses.

Ha. And the Army deficit continues.
Wonder how long this will last...

Taco Loco

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Drank from Devil Dog Fountain in Belleau Wood this morning. Good thing there were no recruiters around.

received_611892756876602.jpeg

Taco Loco

Great news, looks like my oldest boy will be able to use up the rest of my GI 9/11 benefits, I only used 7 months of it to finish off my degree. He has 29 months left to use, and he already has 24 college hours from High School. This will save me about $25k to $30k a year, sweeeet!!

20220802_191700.jpg

Benefits end date was his BD, so I had to block out the PII.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Great news, looks like my oldest boy will be able to use up the rest of my GI 9/11 benefits, I only used 7 months of it to finish off my degree. He has 29 months left to use, and he already has 24 college hours from High School. This will save me about $25k to $30k a year, sweeeet!!

View attachment 45876

Good to see someone getting to use them. What about Hazlewood Benefits?

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
They should transfer. Neighbor did it with his kid.

Taco Loco

Good to see someone getting to use them. What about Hazlewood Benefits?
Have to use up the Fed benefits first then he and my youngest son would be eligible for Hazelwood.

Taco Loco

View attachment 45876

Oh it's gonna save me more, they are going to pay a $1300 monthly stipend, I told him that money will be used to pay for his dorm/rent. Dad is now on his checking account, lol

Taco Loco

His final college bill came out almost to $12k, the VA paid almost half what was due, which was ~$5,900.

I transfered him $2k into his checking and he paid the remaining $6,637.38 to college with him using $4600 of his own money. I did by books and put them on my credit card which was another $400 plus dollars, stocked him up with somee snacks, gave him a 25 count box of condoms and $100 cash.

He has $756.30 left in his account. The VA did give him 2 book stipends of $37.50 and $450 and the VA gave him a debit schedule for his future housing allowance, in total it comes out to $4895.10. He shoud and will use that $4895.10 to help pay his next semester bill.

He is on a meal plan, it's just the average meal plan, but I do expect that he will need about another $1,000 over the semester for food, printing, supplies and recreation activities.

I'm estimating it will cost us $3,500 total this semester, I did tell him if he gets a few scholarships for the Spring 2023 semester he will have a whole lot more play money in hand.

20220822_114836.jpg

20220822_114307.jpg

Silverback

My neighbor also used the Hazelwood Act to pay for his sons college. It was a big help for sure.

Taco Loco

My neighbor also used the Hazelwood Act to pay for his sons college. It was a big help for sure.

Oh I agree. This has to be used up first per Texas, which is a no brainer.

Haze just covers 100% tuition, not dorm meal plan, etc. the 9/11 MGIB covers more and overall costs if the housing allowance is used wisely.

Taco Loco

I expect the Spring to be $14k + with additional hours, he is only taking 12hours this Fall.

Taco Loco

Maybe we need a student loan too.

Biden unveils plan to forgive student loan debt for a subset of Americans

Silverback

Digging deep for mid-terms.