The Garage or Shop Improvement Thread.

Oswego

n00b
My buddy just sold his motorcycle shop. I forget the size but it's a small red metal kit on slab he built himself years back. Small showroom for accessories with 95% of it being shop space. I'm amazed at the price he got. 2x more than my moms marina

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
After the little one did some wiring on the Tacoma she labeled some drawers on my newer HF tool chest. Drawers not labeled are kinda full of random shit at the moment. But she is going to do the other two toolboxes and side chests this week. Score!

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
After the little one did some wiring on the Tacoma she labeled some drawers on my newer HF tool chest. Drawers not labeled are kinda full of random shit at the moment. But she is going to do the other two toolboxes and side chests this week. Score!

View attachment 40077

View attachment 40078
The hammer drawer needs to be re-labeled to "The Thor drawer".

Silverback

You ever get the feeling you are hanging out in her garage?

A few years ago.. maybe 4 or 5.. anyhow she says to me "Dad when you die can I have your tools".. I said "Yes, but you need to learn what they are and how to use them".. a few days go by.. "Dad can I have your silver truck when you die?".. "Of course".. a few more days "Hey dad when you die can I have your guns?".. "OK.. Stop asking me about when I die... you are scaring me!" lol

Silverback

Oh that is baller!! Details?

PSU Taco85

It’s model D72 air dryer, I believe it’s rated for 42 CFM. Guy was upgrading to a larger unit. I wasn’t able to test it so I hope it works, he seemed honest but ya never know lol

He also gave me a nice wall mount for it as well. If I have time I’ll try to test it and get it plumbed up this weekend. Need to let it sit for a day now because I transported it home on its side.

Silverback

Pretty slick. My buddy just got this one. It sounds like a fish tank pump when running. Not a shitload of CFM, but I thought it was kinda slick. He got it fo free-fifty from a guy he knows. Guy has a bunch of them.. he didn't ask where he got them. lol

air.JPG

Fuck $3 grand

Last edited:

PSU Taco85

Must be magic inside. My compressor sounds like the front line at WWII when it’s running lol. 4.2 CFM is probably enough to run a single air tool, but not much more than that. And yeah, when someone has a deal like that you don’t ask questions you just purchase and move on :) I wonder what kind of technology it uses to be “silent” like that. The amp draw doesn’t seem too bad either.

Silverback

Not sure, I know that company sells some high end shit. No fucking way would I pay $3000 for a compressor that only puts out 4.2 CFM. But for free-fifty sure.

Looks similar... uses refrigerator compressors.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Must be magic inside. My compressor sounds like the front line at WWII when it’s running lol. 4.2 CFM is probably enough to run a single air tool, but not much more than that. And yeah, when someone has a deal like that you don’t ask questions you just purchase and move on :) I wonder what kind of technology it uses to be “silent” like that. The amp draw doesn’t seem too bad either.
Not sure, I know that company sells some high end shit. No fucking way would I pay $3000 for a compressor that only puts out 4.2 CFM. But for free-fifty sure.

Looks similar... uses refrigerator compressors.
Same, my 80gal is really loud.

Those Makita quiet air compressors are fucking awesome. They are crazy quiet.

PSU Taco85

It’s model D72 air dryer, I believe it’s rated for 42 CFM. Guy was upgrading to a larger unit. I wasn’t able to test it so I hope it works, he seemed honest but ya never know lol

He also gave me a nice wall mount for it as well. If I have time I’ll try to test it and get it plumbed up this weekend. Need to let it sit for a day now because I transported it home on its side.

instead of trying to dick around with hard piping it to my existing lines I went the work smarter route and ordered two 3/4”x2FT jumper hoses from rapid air. Hopefully they’ll be in next week, then all I’ll have to do is solder up a male 3/4” adapter to my inlet/outlet supplies in the shop to get it hooked up.

PSU Taco85

My rapid air hoses came in today. I got in place where I want to have it and looks like I won't even need the stand, I can just leave it on this HF moving cart which is carpeted so should dampen any vibrations. Just need to sweat in the 3/4" adapters, I thought I had some copper pipe at home but evidently I used it all on my last project. I'll grab a short length when I head to my dad's later today.
68858931998__4811C998-B23A-42C8-8B1C-5B4845C759DE.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

PSU Taco85

Everything is complete, just need to make an extension for the condensate drain. Setup works nice and I can have it disconnected and on the bypass in a few minutes if needed

A9BDDE24-1A47-473F-AEBA-9D63B4EEE74C.jpeg

8C5B7440-E5A1-434B-AB77-5FF1186E2D66.jpeg

573C6736-AD37-443C-9C53-D9FA01CCCA09.jpeg

Even though I knew the blowdown solenoid was coming it still had me jump a little lol

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Finally got around to finishing up the air dryer details. My compressor and dryer blowdown bucket, courtesy of my old works chemistry department. Simple but effective.
View attachment 48405
Nice!

I miss my shop for my maintenance needs. :-(