The Home Improvement Thread

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
The amount of insulation and detail work you have done on the house is going to be awesome. I bet the sound control in the house is going to be great.
For my sex lifes sake, I hope the sound control is enough lol

Forgot to add that I also got the akoustiblok installed on the walls separating the master closet from the girls room & hallway.
20221227_154209.jpg
20221227_154237.jpg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Got a lot done today at the house.

I wired in a couple of outlets for future rear speakers (5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Haven't researched or decided which system will fit my house best. Future me problem lol). I was going to do this later but said screw it while the wall was open & uninsulated and put in the outlets.

Wired in an outlet for a carbon monoxide/smoke detector in my equipment room downstairs. This was on me and not my electrician as I forgot to include it on the drawings.

I got my window back in after having the broken glass replaced! It's really nice to have that back and brings in a ton of light to that corner of the house.
View attachment 49408

I got the last of the exterior walls caulked up. Really glad to have all of that done and that tedious job will pay off in the future as all the little holes where bugs, moisture or wind could get in, is caulked over.

I have a guy helping me install the wall insulation and he got the master bedroom, master bathroom and girls room insulation installed.
View attachment 49409
View attachment 49410
View attachment 49411View attachment 49412

Just with the spray foam in the attic & downstairs along with the Rockwool R23 insulation downstairs, the house is at a nice stable temperature and much warmer than outside. I ran a Mr. Buddy heater upstairs and it made more of a difference than I was expecting it too.

Very nice. Lots of work gettin done!!
When I removed a wall and before I insulated rooms, I wired it for 7.2 and added the gold plated banana plug wall plates in our old house in conrow.

Anathollo

Staff member
Well worked my ass off today and got the upstairs completely insulated. We got about 80% of the downstairs insulated. We'll finish tomorrow and then start hanging more sheetrock.
Electrician and plumber will be by tomorrow to start wrapping up loose ends and setting fixtures.
Upstairs hallway.
20221228_120138.jpg

Downstairs
20221228_173411.jpg

20221228_173420.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
Busy day today.
Plumber got the Grohe shower valves in, finished running the plumbing lines, and installed the tub. Now I can close up those walls.

Electrician got the outdoor lights wired up, replaced a large, rotted out junction box for the pier wiring (I'll post pics of the old box later, it's nuts how badly rusted it is).

I installed a bunch more Akoustiblok while another guy was hanging sheetrock upstairs.

I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a sheetrock lift. It's a motherfucker to install sheetrock on the ceiling because of the double insulation there lol

Last edited:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I watched a Youtube video of a couple in northern Idaho using a sheetrock lifter and it was awesome.

Anathollo

Staff member
This is how badly rusted the old electrical box was (it was right next to the ocean). Electrician replaced it with a new sealed plastic one I picked up.
The old wire nuts rusted through and shocked the shit out of me awhile back lol
20221231_085152.jpg
20221231_085157(0).jpg
20221231_085210.jpg

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
My helper and I got a 1/3rd of the sheetrock ceiling installed downstairs today. The sheetrock lift was a must. I'm so tired I forgot to take pics today.

Anathollo

Staff member
We got the downstairs living area mostly sheetrocked (open area is for HVAC to go back into). Electrician got the can lights cut out and the boxes for the can lights wired in (that was a pain to do but so happy it's mostly done).
20230102_151359.jpg

We started on the garage ceiling but I tweaked my back so that ended the work day.
20230102_151413.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member
No issue with the insulation directly above/ touching the back of the can lights?
These are super thin "can" lights. They aren't actually in a can (they have clips that hold them to the sheetrock) and are rated to be installed in foam and insulation.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
These are super thin "can" lights. They aren't actually in a can (they have clips that hold them to the sheetrock) and are rated to be installed in foam and insulation

I had those same style lights installed in our living room, very low profile.

CowboyTaco

I'm planning on replacing all the boob lights in my house with those.

Was even looking at some of the ones with a nightlight option with a ring around the base that shines a very low light when you do the switch on-off-on quickly.

PSU Taco85

Cooper makes a nice version of them. Those are the ones I put on my porch and in the closets. They are also water resistant for install in a shower. Didn’t realize they made ones with night lights. Might have to put them in and replace the ones in the kitchen which are the older can style mounts!

AlienXtx

Nignog