The Lodge

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Might be something we look into later down the road if it ever rains. For now, $8 and an hour of time every few months isn’t an inconvenience.
Water is the essential to life.

Pretty sure the primary purpose yall bought land out there cause y'all enjoy hunting. Having extra water, brings in more wildlife. I use about 500 gallons a week just for the wildlife/evaporation.
20220719_122423.jpg

20220616_074110.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Taco Loco

Of course it would be real nice if we had some rain to fill up these tanks/ponds/lakes etc!!

Taco Loco

Yesterday was a water day for trees and wildlife. We need rain bad!! I saw a small shower off in the distance, it did not come this way.
:mad:
After 8 days between the wildlife and evaporation, many of the tubs were dry this time. Less than 3.5in here all year, pray for rain!

20220807_122705.jpg
20220807_132446.jpg
20220807_132427.jpg

1 tote is like a 2in rain fall for the Live Oaks, I was able to water 12 trees yesterday.
20220807_140440.jpg

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
South of Sonora. I will see how they try to make this right before I make a judgement on them. I will say the guide did everything he could just short of trespassing onto another ranch to get us onto axis. They have not had any rain this year so the deer are surviving off feeders and cactus. Saw lots of white tail eating cactus.

That sucks, hopefully he can rebook ya without additional costs to make up for it.
Because of the heat, I rarely see game out after 830am and they don't start feeding until about 30min before sunset.

*Hunting over or near water source/pond is your best bet because of this drought(no exceptions).

Outfit owner texted back to me this morning. He is confirming which weekends he has open; but is offering to let us come back own to the ranch to to take 5 does - axis or whitetail - with no extra charge. Just waiting on confirmed dates now. Freezer meat is freezer meat at this point. I am still going to prefer axis over whitetail if given the option.

tx_shooter

Staff member
South of Sonora. I will see how they try to make this right before I make a judgement on them. I will say the guide did everything he could just short of trespassing onto another ranch to get us onto axis. They have not had any rain this year so the deer are surviving off feeders and cactus. Saw lots of white tail eating cactus.

That sucks, hopefully he can rebook ya without additional costs to make up for it.
Because of the heat, I rarely see game out after 830am and they don't start feeding until about 30min before sunset.

*Hunting over or near water source/pond is your best bet because of this drought(no exceptions).

Outfit owner texted back to me this morning. He is confirming which weekends he has open; but is offering to let us come back own to the ranch to to take 5 does - axis or whitetail - with no extra charge. Just waiting on confirmed dates now. Freezer meat is freezer meat at this point. I am still going to prefer axis over whitetail if given the option.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So last night was a good night after 4 months of game cameras, logging pig herd movements with weather patterns, and some luck in the mix we were able to call which herd and the 1 hour time window they would show up.

Thermal video from the AGM Rattler. There is no sound; I was shooting my 6.5 Grendel with Vox suppressor and my buddy was shooting his Ruger 308 Win bolt gun. This was my first time using the Nosler ballistic tips for pigs and I do not like that I lost that first pig. I am going back to Hornady SSTs now on. (clarify - will save the Nosler bullets for thin skinned game and go back to SSTs for pigs. )

The black one was ~50 lbs and the gray one was ~40 lbs. Those soft shackles are pretty handy lol

1660393077180.png

Last edited:

Taco Loco

So last night was a good night after 4 months of game cameras, logging pig herd movements with weather patterns, and some luck in the mix we were able to call which herd and the 1 hour time window they would show up.

Thermal video from the AGM Rattler. There is no sound; I was shooting my 6.5 Grendel with Vox suppressor and my buddy was shooting his Ruger 308 Win bolt gun. This was my first time using the Nosler ballistic tips for pigs and I do not like that I lost that first pig. I am going back to Hornady SSTs now on. (clarify - will save the Nosler bullets for thin skinned game and go back to SSTs for pigs. )

The black one was ~50 lbs and the gray one was ~40 lbs. Those soft shackles are pretty handy lol

View attachment 46096
Nice!

Yardage/meters?

Taco Loco

I had new sounder show up this past week, since the drought hit, this the most hogs I have seen at a feeder so far this summer
20220812_154344.jpg

Taco Loco

Just 45 yards to the feeder. Hopefully next spring he will get the okay from his f-in-law to setup a 2nd stand with a 150, 100, and 50 spots.

I really would like to see this scope in action at 100yds!!!

tx_shooter

Staff member
Makes two of us but that will end up waiting till February when I can start moving around a bit more. Deer season has priority right now. Last night I was comparing it to the cheap Bushnell NV monocular I also bought. The thermal is great to see hot/cold but night vision would let me see actual objects like brush. It was easier to tell distance with the NV than the thermal. I would be tempted to just do a good Day/Night scope for hunting at/under 100 yards.

Taco Loco

Makes two of us but that will end up waiting till February when I can start moving around a bit more. Deer season has priority right now.

You can't hog/varmit hunt during deer season?

If that scope has great clarity on animals atleast 100yds out, then I would like to get one.

tx_shooter

Staff member
You can't hog/varmit hunt during deer season?

If that scope has great clarity on animals atleast 100yds out, then I would like to get one.

The buddy that is the access to it does not want to do it. Respecting the land owner and such.

As for 100 yd view - yeah, it has great clarity. I did not spend too much time adjusting the view last night because I kept glassing between the feeder and a larger clearing to the right that is ~120 yds.

Taco Loco

I thought you had mentioned this was rescheduled for the wknd before the AR toofbrush trip, which is the opening wnkd for deer gun season, are you sure that guy is solid on his word?

Most lease/outfitters count on the big city poker guys paying big bucks for big bucks and not worried about booking doe hunts on opening wknd. Just my thoughts.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I noticed the same thing. The outfit has a good reputation. That is about all I can go off of at the moment. He gave me three date options that had not been booked yet. I picked the opening day option.

Taco Loco

20210911_173503.jpg

http://https://w2.countingdownto.com/4305596

AlienXtx

Nignog
Screenshot_20220830-145855_Instagram.jpg