What have you done to someone else's ride lately?

AlienXtx

Nignog
LMAO at 116 miles. That big of a van and they could only fit in enough batteries for that? Would it help if they put pedal power generators in the seat area to help recharge the battery? lol
Batteries are under the bottom. Yeah, 116 is a bit of a joke and only about 1/2 a day on my medical routes.

AlienXtx

Nignog
That coolant hose network looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
No joke, all those plastic T's and elbow that are notorious for cracking should be brass.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
That coolant hose network looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Nothing is supported in there. It looks like a prototype vehicle almost.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Well my sammich maker's Tacoma needs some maintenance. The ball joints are worn to shit at 325k miles; nothing lasts anymore. She is looking at a "new" vehicle in the next 6 to 8 months (finally) so I am slapping some Moogs in the rig and going to keep going for a bit.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So I managed to get familiar with the process again pretty quick. The UCA ball joint swap went pretty quick on the passenger side. Then the lower I discovered I ordered the wrong part. The correct parts will be here on Monday so the sammich maker get my 4Runner for work and school that day. The only silver lining is the right part is $15 cheaper each so I will end up $30 ahead.

It is nice how less stressful this is since I do not need my 4Runner next week now that I work from home. A few years ago this would have been much different.

1669509348511.png

tx_shooter

Staff member
Of course the ball joints did not arrive yesterday like I needed them too. They show to be processing for delivery today; so hopefully I can sign off when they arrive and knock this out today.

CowboyTaco

My neighbor drives a Wrangler. He's got it outfitted to go offroading, but I don't believe he ever has. He's declined every time that I've invited him.

....you know the type...hi-lift bolted to the side, plate bumpers front and rear, brake light behind the spare, smittybilt synthetic winch, lightbars galore, fuel wheels and Falken wildpeak ATs...

anyway, I asked him a few weeks ago when the last time he rotated his tires. answer: "Never. why?"

"because they sound like MTs coming down the road. I can hear you way before I can see you."

Neighbor: "I was planning on getting new ones soon. Do you think I ought to rotate them?"

"Yes."

Few weeks go by and last week he asked how much I'd charge him to change the oil and rotate the tires for him. I told him to buy the parts and bring beer. He said that he insisted on paying me. Again, I told him to buy the parts and bring beer. That's what neighbors do. He says that I should expect a good tip if I refused payment. Next thing I know, I get a text that says the parts are in the passenger seat and keys in the ignition. He's got a dinner function and needs to hit the road in the morning.

I'm thinking "that's not quite how this works." but I sent him a text back and told him to make sure he included the key to the wheels if they require one.

The oil readout showed 0% life and it was cloudy coming out. The lug opening was pretty small and there was no key. A 17mm fit on them fine with no play, so I took the first lug nut off with that. Nope....definitely requires a key. Can't find it anywhere in the vehicle. Not in the glovebox, center console, under the back area with the factory jack, or in Yeti bag of recovery gear. (No joke, this dude is prepared for anything....except changing a flat)

So I go up to AutoZone, who happened to have the key in stock.

What should have taken 30 minutes ended up taking 3 hours, but got it done. The tires were so bad that the INNER tread block was starting to feather and it felt like you were driving down stairs on a smooth surface. It's been about a week since I did it, and the jeep isn't anywhere near as loud coming down the road. I told him it would take a while for them to smooth out based on how bad they were.

Next morning there was a bottle of wine on my porch with a $50 bill taped to it.

Oh, and it was raining the whole time.

IMG_20221212_081947_848.jpg

AlienXtx

Nignog
Surprised you didn't hit those faded flares with tire shine lol

AlienXtx

Nignog
What I hear you say is that your neighbor is ghey and he gave you a bottle of wine and cash for favors served. lol
Well he does own/drive a heep.

CowboyTaco

20221218_163054.jpg

Here's how badly his tires were worn.

Not sure how many miles they have, but they had never been rotated and still sound like MTs.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So I picked up a go kart for a friend's kid. The kid is 100% convinced his Dad is going to "disappear" for a night and go pick it up. So we are working together to make sure the kid sees that his Dad never goes anywhere. lol But I brought the kid's ride home until it can get dropped off Christmas Eve.

But the 4Runner pulled the trailer great today; even though I hate towing trailers that are basically empty.

1671496484962.png

balakay

BabyMax
X2 on Blake's comment. Guess it's a jeep thing, and I wouldn't understand
Those wear marks are definitely from a worn out suspension/steering. Used to get the same thing on my first gen when my tie rod ends would fuck up. But pretty much any worn out bushings/suspension could cause it.

AlienXtx

Nignog
So I picked up a go kart for a friend's kid. The kid is 100% convinced his Dad is going to "disappear" for a night and go pick it up. So we are working together to make sure the kid sees that his Dad never goes anywhere. lol But I brought the kid's ride home until it can get dropped off Christmas Eve.

But the 4Runner pulled the trailer great today; even though I hate towing trailers that are basically empty.

View attachment 49162
Is the dad black lol......jkjk

I sold all three of mine to a guy that works for me last week.