The Home Improvement Thread

CowboyTaco

Cooper makes a nice version of them. Those are the ones I put on my porch and in the closets. They are also water resistant for install in a shower. Didn’t realize they made ones with night lights. Might have to put them in and replace the ones in the kitchen which are the older can style mounts!

These are the ones I'm considering.

Selectable color, dimmable, nightlight, wet rated, etc.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Shit.. one of my water heaters is leaking. my daughter noticed one of the drains leaking today outside the house.. sure enough, one of the water heater pans has 1.5" of water in it. They are almost 10 years old now and junk at this point. Will be calling tomorrow to get them replaced.

PSU Taco85

Shit.. one of my water heaters is leaking. my daughter noticed one of the drains leaking today outside the house.. sure enough, one of the water heater pans has 1.5" of water in it. They are almost 10 years old now and junk at this point. Will be calling tomorrow to get them replaced.

go with a tankless high efficiency, your wallet will thank you. Plus you can mount to the wall to gain back floor space, Navien make some of the best ones around from my experience.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Got all of the interior doors on order on Friday. Lead time of 5 weeks.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Got all of the interior doors on order on Friday. Lead time of 5 weeks.

I'm working on blueprints for the Barndo, I'm wanting to do oversize interior/exterior doors, in case we have elderly parents or family and/or ourselves become confined to a wheelchair, should I put 36in or 42in wide for interior doors?

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
I'm working on blueprints for the Barndo, I'm wanting to do oversize interior/exterior doors, in case we have elderly parents or family and/or ourselves become confined to a wheelchair, should I put 36in or 42in wide for interior doors?
36" is normal width for bedroom doors and will fit a wheelchair just fine. ADA width for a door is 32".

If you go with 42", it'll be overkill, the doors will be more expensive and you'll have more maintenance to keep them open & closing properly (they tend to sag more than 36" doors).

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
36" is normal width for bedroom doors and will fit a wheelchair just fine. ADA width for a door is 32".

If you go with 42", it'll be overkill, the doors will be more expensive and you'll have more maintenance to keep them open & closing properly (they tend to sag more than 36" doors).
thanks.

yeah at this new tiny house, the bedroom doors are 32 and entry doors are 36, I thought they were too small, a 32in door is tight with current furniture sizes nowadays, I guess 36 wide door should be the new interior door standard size.

Ok I will probably do 36in for interior doors and 42in for exterior doors.

Anathollo

Staff member
Worked late last night and got some piddly stuff done around the house before the sheetrock crew comes on Wednesday. I'm going back tonight to wrap up some more loose ends as well.

Anathollo

Staff member
Those little things add up a lot once they are getting knocked out.
Yeah I was glad to get them done finally. Looking forward to getting some more of them done tonight.

Anathollo

Staff member
So I've been busting my ass this past week working on the house. We've gotten a lot done so far.

I called in a favor and had a couple of floor guys come out to chisel up the old thinset on my bottom floor. It's really nice to walk on smooth floors. My back and knees thank me for subbing this job out lol
20230112_103722.jpg

20230112_103728.jpg

The upstairs is 90% sheetrocked and has ready been taped & floated. It's currently on it's second coat of mud as of today. We're going to finish the last 10% of sheetrock tomorrow and start on the downstairs sheetrock.

I took out the old toilet & sink downstairs and found a screw in each of the drain lines so my plumber came back out and repaired those. I had left the sink & toilet so we could use it during construction but it was finally to the point where they needed to come out. In

I added a urinal to the garage so I don't have to walk into the house to piss while dirty. I already got the urinal and my plumber at work is giving me a free flush valve (like $170 savings). My wife found out about the urinal add on today lol better to ask for forgiveness on some stuff lol

I ran the additional Ethernet line to connect my two routers together (that was a PIA job).

My electrician finished running the last home run line to my upstairs furnace (that was a PIA job with the spray foam in place).

I got the last deck railing back in yesterday (I originally took it out in June of 2021!).

I got my hidden fishing pole safe framed out. Not gonna elaborate further on that one lol

There's a thousand other things I got done. Too much to type out and I don't remember a lot of them because I'm exhausted.

Anathollo

Staff member

PSU Taco85

Replaced my water conditioner with a new combined unit. After 15+ years to try and get parts for the old mechanical timers was proving to be inefficient, plus the zeolite bed needed replacing anyhow.
50E877B9-73B4-4F06-819C-AADC6D261B92.jpeg

3334955E-4C82-4A29-9755-243DDA9925B8.jpeg

New unit along with a new salt tank
EDDCD089-2E67-4B08-9225-3D5282FE8900.jpeg

found my check valve for the well is seeping a bit. Going to have to replace sooner rather than later, likely go with a SS over the brass. Also cut out and replaced the last of the brass pex fittings, this one was on its last leg
B4419B81-5A55-45CB-BC0F-071C376D3953.jpeg