The Lodge

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Prob the glow from it more then the smell

Maybe but probably not. We did everything we could to keep any light from reflecting against the back wall where looking it it could be easily seen. The glow was our first thought too.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Propane from the heater puts off a smell. We tried that last year and found it was a set back.

Heated Milwaukee jacket is not off the list; but this new cold weather gear is working great so far.

99% of the time, my blinds and porch are downwind from the feeders. Blind/feeder location and knowing the area predominant wind direction is important. Smell and light noise is not issue with my setups, as most of the hogs are shot from the porch. The doorbell goes off, and I turn off lights or TV etc so the back light is not reflected in scope. Sneak out on porch, set up and shoot!! I leave a light on all the time at the house now, so the wildlife are used to seeing that in the distance.

The moon has been bright since Wednesday, was full moon last night and again tonight. Last year we were cleaning deer and I had the flood lights and music on, the door bell chime goes off and sure enough there were hogs at the front feeder(this feeder also motion activated green lights on it). We stopped what we were doing and then dropped a couple of hogs. Man that was awesome.

tx_shooter

Staff member
The current place I am hunting is pretty much fucked for options. Once I start the lease setup the lanes and stands will be setup with some shooter IQ.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Maybe but probably not. We did everything we could to keep any light from reflecting against the back wall where looking it it could be easily seen. The glow was our first thought too.
This last hunt, I had just finished dragging that doe out from the brush onto the road and I looked up & over while catching my breath and there was her two friends about 100 yards away eating corn off the road lol Had I not been wheezing so hard after dragging that does fat ass out of the brush, I might have been able to take an offhand shot and drop another one.

I can't wait to finish this damn house and put in my gym so I can get back into shape.

I listened to a podcast where the guys were saying it's your breath that gives you away long before sight or sound if you're upwind of the animal. Your mouth concentrates all the smells from the foods you've been eating and exhales them while you breathe.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Had a talk with my buddy last night in the deer stand about this. The does that have been coming to the feeder a few years now do not care if we are in the stand; to the point I dropped a water bottle to a loud thud. They looked up at us and went back to eating. The new does trotted away a minute before coming back.

It is all in exposure; if you / your scent is out there all the time (ie @Taco Loco doing farm work and watering) they are not concerned because it is normal. But if you are only in the area once a month/ several months than you are an intruder to be worried about.

Much like that strange noise in the vehicle; if it is there every day and nothing goes wrong we do not worry about it. The new strange noises where a wheel falls off makes us worry.

Anathollo

Staff member

Taco Loco

Had a talk with my buddy last night in the deer stand about this. The does that have been coming to the feeder a few years now do not care if we are in the stand; to the point I dropped a water bottle to a loud thud. They looked up at us and went back to eating. The new does trotted away a minute before coming back.

It is all in exposure; if you / your scent is out there all the time (ie @Taco Loco doing farm work and watering) they are not concerned because it is normal. But if you are only in the area once a month/ several months than you are an intruder to be worried about.

Much like that strange noise in the vehicle; if it is there every day and nothing goes wrong we do not worry about it. The new strange noises where a wheel falls off makes us worry.

Leave a sweaty shirt behind.

I don't wear deodorant at the farm, and I wash my clothes in Arm & Hammer Lavender. There are native Lavender plants all over Texas, wildlife are used to that smell. I don't like to introduce any foreign smells around my feeders and I rather not clog my skin pores while working and nobody there to smell me anyways, lol

balakay

BabyMax
Guess I’m gonna have to start taking a shotgun to the stand with me next year.
3D51D66A-0EB8-440D-9AC3-E2ABA49BB04B.jpeg

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
WTF? Your stand is in Jurassic Park?

AlienXtx

Nignog

balakay

BabyMax
Yeah the season ran from Oct 29-Jan 29 this year. Only ever saw them fly over during season. They just started landing by my blind about a week ago.
Sandhill crane? I think there is a season/tag? I believe they are supposed to be good to eat.

Anathollo

Staff member
Sandhill crane? I think there is a season/tag? I believe they are supposed to be good to eat.
Chicken of the sky apparently. I really want to try one.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Chicken of the sky apparently. I really want to try one.
Ribeye of the sky is what I heard them compared too. Yeah I'd be interested to try it too.

Anathollo

Staff member
Ribeye of the sky is what I heard them compared too. Yeah I'd be interested to try it too.
My bad, yeah that's the phrase.

According to someone else online "When we first cooked it it looked so dark and gamey but when I tried it no bad taste. I’ve never had a bird taste like that. It’s so similar we gave it to my cousin and she really thought it was steak lol."

@Taco Loco you ever had sandhill crane?

Taco Loco

My bad, yeah that's the phrase.

According to someone else online "When we first cooked it it looked so dark and gamey but when I tried it no bad taste. I’ve never had a bird taste like that. It’s so similar we gave it to my cousin and she really thought it was steak lol."

@Taco Loco you ever had sandhill crane?

A couple times, I hear them flying all day this time of the year.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I have had it and yes it is very dark meat. Didn't season it enough, but it was good. Made a red wine mushroom sauce to go with it and it helped a lot since it was lacking seasoning.

Taco Loco

Every morning the door bell goes off between 630 to about 715, usually it's a couple deer eating down there, totally ignored the bell and missed out in shooting this dude.
20230214_210925.jpg