The Lodge

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Archery buck from last year is gonna make the Pope & Young record books. Gross 143 7/8 with a net of 141 2/8.
20220721_194815.jpg
20220721_194758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I noticed the same thing. The outfit has a good reputation. That is about all I can go off of at the moment. He gave me three date options that had not been booked yet. I picked the opening day option.

The front coming today, should have the animals moving tomorrow, good luck.

Nothing really to speak of around here, just some cull bucks, the nicer bucks still appear to be nocturnal at this time.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Well the Axis Hunt Round 2 was a flop also; but this trip was a touch annoying due to some basic issues. First the views while hunting were still a good time and it was nice to be out in the field with the gear. The issues were that the guides did not check feeder camera cards until after we were already in the stands the first morning (first check in 6 weeks). Second issue was once we got eyes on a herd of axis the two guys that saw them both came back to the bunk house to pick me up; nobody kept eyes on the axis. Once we got back to the area they were spotted in we were trying to figure out where they went in the 30 minutes nobody had eyes on them.

Those two issues really kind of screwed the odds of harvesting an axis. The outfitter did offer for us to harvest whitetail does also if we wanted to; but my buddy I was on the trip with really needs 4 to 8 does cleared off his property so we saved our doe tags for his place.

But the views and chance to work with the thermal scope some more was enjoyable. Still going to work on getting an axis but will be a different outfitter. This was a learning experience I plan to only learn once.

First morning; was at 135 yards.
20221006071355.JPG

Second morning, was at 185 yards. The feeder area ended up covered up in yearlings.
20221007073947.JPG

Couple of other pics from different areas.
Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Taco Loco

That sucks about the hunt.

Hunting here has been pretty slow, dang moon is almost 100% so all the critters are out eating all night.

20221105_184118.jpg

Attachments

• 20221105_184118.jpg
    20221105_184118.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Taco Loco

So it's Monday and all the wknd warriors have gone back to work and everyone else comes out to play(except Nacho).

tx_shooter

Staff member
Yeah, the moon screwed us this weekend. Everything was out at night with the moonlight and avoiding the high winds during the the day

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Well I'm heading down to finally get some hunting in. Could be hit or miss but its better than nothing.

Any recommendations on some sort of shooting stick/tripod that wont break the bank? Been Checking out the BOG tripods and they are about the only ones I have found configured in that fashion and pricepoint.

AlienXtx

Nignog

Taco Loco

Should still have the 13" inside the beams restriction.

There are no antler restrictions here, but as responsible hunter, only mature or cull bucks go.

At our family farm, I hunted there for over 25yrs, that county has antler restrictions. The restrictions were good, overall it increase antler size and body size of the deer population. The problem is not all bucks is a one size fits all approach.
I could remember at least 12 to 14 bucks that didn't meet the antler restrictions, they were too narrow, but they were also old, all like 4.5ys plus. You couldn't shoot them, but they needed to be culled. The problem is that those bucks continue to breed for a couple more years, and it passes the crappy genetics off to thier offspring. In some areas that could potentially leave the land owner with very few options in harvesting only spikes and no bucks with a 13in min spread, ear to ear.

Important to have your management practices, or TPWD/Govt will be quick to implement one for us down here.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
There are no antler restrictions here, but as responsible hunter, only mature or cull bucks go.

At our family farm, I hunted there for over 25yrs, that county has antler restrictions. The restrictions were good, overall it increase antler size and body size of the deer population. The problem is not all bucks is a one size fits all approach.
I could remember at least 12 to 14 bucks that didn't meet the antler restrictions, they were too narrow, but they were also old, all like 4.5ys plus. You couldn't shoot them, but they needed to be culled. The problem is that those bucks continue to breed for a couple more years, and it passes the crappy genetics off to thier offspring. In some areas that could potentially leave the land owner with very few options in harvesting only spikes and no bucks with a 13in min spread, ear to ear.

Important to have your management practices, or TPWD/Govt will be quick to implement one for us down here.
Exactly this. Antler restrictions are good in theory but only that.

Those are the bucks that you drop and then break off one side to make it legal...or change the tag location per what an old hunter told me once....

tx_shooter

Staff member

Oh I have seen lots of the narrow & tall bucks that should be taken. I thought all of Texas was under the 13" rule now; I had to look it up.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Oh I have seen lots of the narrow & tall bucks that should be taken. I thought all of Texas was under the 13" rule now; I had to look it up.
No thank God it's not. @thekidcatchers county, they have so few people and so many deer that you can kill whatever you want pretty much. No restrictions whatsoever

Taco Loco

No thank God it's not. @thekidcatchers county, they have so few people and so many deer that you can kill whatever you want pretty much. No restrictions whatsoever

Lots of properties were sold this past year around Alice, of course that's almost everywhere, but I did see a lot of listings hit the market in that area. Too many damn folks moving here/Texas.

balakay

BabyMax
Luckily our current county has no restrictions so we’ll be able to cull some bucks that wouldn’t normally be legal in restricted counties. Our county has something like a 6:1 buck to doe ratio according to the lady that does the wildlife exemptions. She said she was expecting them to go to a 2-3 buck county in the next few years. They are currently only a 1 buck county.