The Lodge

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I wanted my cousin to shoot him for her first deer the next morning. But they ended up not sitting at my feeder. I’m okay with him not getting shot and sticking around for another couple years though as he’s one of the best bucks we have currently.

I would have shot the badger for a cool mount if he had come out before the doe. But I knew I was gonna shoot the doe and didn’t want to run her off.
Very nice!

balakay

BabyMax
I have about a 3.5 year old three point I’m going to try to get during the late spike and doe season. Or I’ll just shoot another doe so I have enough meat to get to next season.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Spent the day in the field - first coyote hunting at 5:30a and then moving cameras around getting ready for a pig hunt in February. The coyote hunt was good but the yote never came within shooting range. The coyote spent a good five minutes sniffing around my 4Runner since we parked it a bit away from the last gate. Of course the coyote came from a direction that was not expected.

864049055616678-100-4-12262022113354-W1000401.jpeg

Taco Loco

Spent the day in the field - first coyote hunting at 5:30a and then moving cameras around getting ready for a pig hunt in February. The coyote hunt was good but the yote never came within shooting range. The coyote spent a good five minutes sniffing around my 4Runner since we parked it a bit away from the last gate. Of course the coyote came from a direction that was not expected.

View attachment 49378

seems like no shortage around here, my brother plugged one this morning.

IMG_1442.jpg

tx_shooter

Staff member
We have plenty around the area we are hunting. It is just a matter of getting a feel for their travel paths now. We have been seeing them come & go in front of a handful of the cameras so we were not sure of a travel pattern yet. This morning was pretty unexpected. Next time I will be setup better with a plan to drop at least one.

Taco Loco

I hit a nice size hog last night with 300bo, it's in the brush or neighboring property, lol it's a cool sound when that round hits the animals. It was a bit windy last night and hogs were real skittish, I was hoping to cast more lures but the herd would never come together, I should have back out on the zoom some more.

Taco Loco

Shooting subsonic?

Supers on the AR platform, subs on the bolt aac 300bo, these damn hogs are tuff sob's,, (middle of the night, low light) I always shoot 'center' of animal, didn't plan on cleaning a hog at midnight anyways. 99.9% are kill shoots, some just kill over on the neighbors property, lol at a convenience for me not to haul it off.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I have been on a few hog shoots where the rule was "you drop it you haul it" so the idea was lots of gut and lung shots. Let the hog haul itself off.

Generally I am against such treatment but these dang hogs are something else. Now I tend to shoot to kill and then we hunt over the hog for predators.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I have been on a few hog shoots where the rule was "you drop it you haul it" so the idea was lots of gut and lung shots. Let the hog haul itself off.

Generally I am against such treatment but these dang hogs are something else. Now I tend to shoot to kill and then we hunt over the hog for predators.
IMG_20211217_145718.jpg

balakay

BabyMax
General season is over here but this is the first weekend of spike and doe special season. Trying to bag a good size doe (or the 3 point that likes to frequent my feeder) to help fill the freezer a little more. Weird hunting in January when it’s over 80°.
8ABD6403-5CE9-4BF9-A236-771F2691CD49.jpeg

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
General season is over here but this is the first weekend of spike and doe special season. Trying to bag a good size doe (or the 3 point that likes to frequent my feeder) to help fill the freezer a little more. Weird hunting in January when it’s over 80°.View attachment 49722
You got that right.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Just secured a lease for this year/next season about dead center between Goldwaite, Brownwood, and Comanche. My buddy and I took the tour today with the property owner (been in his family since 1880s) and we both really liked it. There are lots of deer, pigs, and coyotes out there. The place is 300 acres with most of it a mix of scrub oak and brush; and then a hay field that shoots off to one side. It is going to be interesting.

Google street view; forgot to take pics
1673228562475.png

Taco Loco

Just secured a lease for this year/next season about dead center between Goldwaite, Brownwood, and Comanche. My buddy and I took the tour today with the property owner (been in his family since 1880s) and we both really liked it. There are lots of deer, pigs, and coyotes out there. The place is 300 acres with most of it a mix of scrub oak and brush; and then a hay field that shoots off to one side. It is going to be interesting.

Google street view; forgot to take pics
View attachment 49789

Nice.

Any existing blinds and feeders for use?
Access to power and water?

Last edited:

Taco Loco

Screenshot_20230109-083921_Nextdoor.jpg

A Hunter and the game warden

A hunter went hunting one day in West Virginia and bagged three ducks. He put them in the bed of his pickup truck and was about to drive home where he was confronted by an ornery game warden who didn't like hunter. The game warden ordered to the hunter to show his hunting license, and the hunter pulled out a valid West Virginia hunting license. The game warden looked at the license, then reached over and picked up one of the ducks, sniffed it's butt, and said, "This duck ain't from West Virginia. This is a Kentucky duck. You got a Kentucky hunting license, boy?" The hunter reached into his wallet and produced a Kentucky hunting license.

The game warden looked at it, then reached over and grabbed the second duck, sniffed it's butt, and said, "This ain't no Kentucky duck. This duck's from Tennessee. You got an Tennessee licence?" The hunter reached into his wallet and produced an Tennessee license. The warden then reached over and picked up the third duck. "This duck's from Virginia. You got a Virginia hunting license?"

Again the hunter reached into his wallet and brought out a Virginia hunting license. The game warden was extremely frustrated at this point, and he yelled at the hunter, "Just where the hell are you from?"

The hunter turned around, bent over, dropped his pants, and said, "You tell me, you're the expert!"

tx_shooter

Staff member
Nice.

Any existing blinds and feeders for use?
Access to power and water?

There are a few feeders and blinds there; but expecting either the previous hunters or property owner will pull most of them. The property owner is setting up 80 acres by his house for his grandkids to hunt at. If he uses them for that it would bother me a lot less than if he sold them.

Taco Loco

There are a few feeders and blinds there; but expecting either the previous hunters or property owner will pull most of them. The property owner is setting up 80 acres by his house for his grandkids to hunt at. If he uses them for that it would bother me a lot less than if he sold them.
Well I hope its a good lease for ya, I hunted in Hamilton, near Energy, TX for over 25 years at the Laundry Fairy's grandparents ranch, probably 20min from your lease. Keep this mind, the normal wind direction, most of our blinds were 100yds South-east of the feeders.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Well I hope its a good lease for ya, I hunted in Hamilton, near Energy, TX for over 25 years at the Laundry Fairy's grandparents ranch, probably 20min from your lease. Keep this mind, the normal wind direction, most of our blinds were 100yds South-east of the feeders.

Hopefully feeding protein this summer will help the herd health and capitalize on the less tended leases around the area. I already have 3 cell cameras ready to go down there after February.